Board Logo

Trying to locate fire bug ( FOUND with new owner )
Hamma1965 - January 19th, 2015 at 09:23 PM

Trying to locate 1976 beetle "fire bug" last heard it was under tarp near shops in Kareela NSW.I sold car to Graham Giles.

helbus - January 19th, 2015 at 09:43 PM

Any pictures or other descriptive features?

Hamma1965 - January 19th, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Hi Pete
Was a show car in early 90's. I have some photos which I will try and attach some how?
Basically it was a citrus red 76 beetle , one piece windows with empi,s cal looker.

hellbugged - January 20th, 2015 at 06:05 AM

Contact Steve carter

"1303Steve"

Hamma1965 - January 20th, 2015 at 08:43 AM

Thanks Daimo
I'll try to send him a message. Have to get a couple more posts in first. Think I need five for first message to be allowed .

hellbugged - January 20th, 2015 at 08:49 AM

Just post some random here to get your count up

He will no doubt chime in on this thread. Usually visits the forum each day

Daimo

hellbugged - January 20th, 2015 at 09:04 AM

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=50794&page=1 

Hamma1965 - January 20th, 2015 at 09:12 AM

Thanks again Daimo
Saw that thread from a google search on line .which is why i registered. I had my old photos of the car out and was showing my kids them plus some of the mags I had kept with car featured.
My kids are about the same age as I was when I owned It. Time goes quick.

Hamma1965 - January 20th, 2015 at 09:32 AM

Funny thing is , I was reading old fast four mag, story by Matt Raudonikis, Said car was purchased locally in average condition, It apparently received a colour change , one piece windows etc. There is no question the car got a full once over and remains one of the best I've seen, However it was always citrus red, It had the empi's on it , the one piece windows where already in , ( cb performance america) ,the exhaust was mine and it had been engineered to stop axle tramp.My photos therefore look identical to how car appeared at shows. I use to tell people he just polished it. Ha Ha

I purchased car from original owner and it had one of Stan Pobjoys original 1916's, remember he was working out of his garage west of Sydney somewhere.

1303Steve - January 20th, 2015 at 09:33 AM

Hi

Its not under the carport anymore. Maybe it would be easier to track down the owner, cant think of his name or the guy that took over Rogwin from Geoff Unwin and Ted Rog. The owner of the car was business a partner in the new VW shop.

A lot has been said about how good this car was, it was very well detailed for sure but it didn't show any innovation, it was basically packed full of bolt on parts from a Hot VWs magazine advert.

Steve

Hamma1965 - January 20th, 2015 at 09:40 AM

Thanks Steve

Did they change Rogwin motors to Volks repairs or something?

vw54 - January 20th, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Rogwin went to Volkscare and closed in or around 1993

The guys name was Grahame Giles ( spelling )

""" it was very well detailed for sure but it didn't show any innovation "" yep very shinny but not much else

Hamma1965 - January 20th, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Hi Steve
Was thinking about that innovation thing. The stuff I did before selling it to Mr giles and his son Heath was kind of innovative. We welded up the frame forks , replaced gear box mount to earlier style, put alloy tray in parcel shelf the bracketed from there down to frame forks , lowered rear suspension and welded adjusters into front.Allot of this you can buy off the shelf now and bolt on. I think the car won a best engineered at some show? Anyway the thing is heaps of people were doing that then . I had a good friend called Daryl O'connor and was a member go club illawarra. there were some very clever people their some still in vw scene .

Jeff Unwin use to let Daryl and I use his work shop at nights, when Graham Giles purchased the car I suggested if he needed any thing done he should go to Rogwin motors as they knew the car.

Anyway I thought it was innovative at the time but truth was heaps were doing that stuff in the eighties and we bludged a bit of Knowledge off Gene Burg who Jeff corresponded with. These days I don't see things to much different although my current beetle has a narrowed beam and I have an air system Ive purchased with the view to install at a later date.

Mark

Sunset Garage - January 20th, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Man, I loved that thing when it was first built. It was definitely controversial at carshows too. Was one of the cars that inspired me to build my first VW back in 1991.
A cal-look German 68 with shaved blinkers relocated in the bumpers and one piece windows, pastel violet paintwork, a second hand 1835 and some 'Rocket' brand 8 spokes (with the roughest castings for a wheel, ever) painted in gunmetal.

The VW scene in Australia was pretty small back then anyway, and shiny showcars dominated. I can recall a certain dark green beetle, painted in a HSV colour, with every bit you could possibly chrome or polish, winning all the NSW VW shows. The first few times it even won without a wiring loom fitted! The car parks outside the show were usually just as exciting and interesting to look around anyway.

Firebug was definitely innovative for its time, in the same way Subaru powered VWs and rusty patina rides scraping their asses on the road are considered innovative in the new century. I wonder if, in another 20 years we are looking back at these current trends & wondering what possessed people to do that to their cars?

1303Steve - January 20th, 2015 at 03:48 PM

I think Ive found it, I will let Mark try to find it first

1303Steve - January 20th, 2015 at 04:00 PM

As far as innovation goes the internet has changed things, we can all have internet fame with a few photos on a forum or website but years ago nobody really saw what you were doing with your car

helbus - January 20th, 2015 at 08:12 PM

Pics anyone? I am champing at the bit to see it now.

Hamma1965 - January 20th, 2015 at 09:51 PM

Hi all
This is my first experience on a forum. As I said looking at old photos , got nostalgic and hoped I could find it .
The feedback and reading everyone's comments has been great, plus sometimes one comment seems to send you on another interesting tangent. Sincere thanks. Mark

1303Steve - January 21st, 2015 at 08:04 AM

Did you follow up my lead?

Euro_67 - January 21st, 2015 at 08:39 PM

Hi,
I too would be very keen to find out the fate of Fire Bug.
I worked at "Rogwins" on the weekends and during school holidays during the Fire Bug build. And whilst i appreciate '76s are not for everyone, this care made a lasting impression on me, as did many of the cars from Rogwins and Hellbug.

I personally spoke to Graeme Giles back in around 2006-2007
Both he and Heath had lost interest in the scene after the demise of Volkscare motors. At the time, I was told the car was in the drive under a tarp. When I reached out to Graeme, my intention was to do something with the car. Unfortunately I never followed it up as other things took priority. Something I have always regretted.

PM sent.

Hamma1965 - January 21st, 2015 at 09:51 PM

Hi Steve.
Yes mate. Followed up lead. Got Graham's number. Have spoken and expressed my interest to purchase car. Hoping to sort in near future. Car has not even been started for 9 years plus rubbing and sweating under a tarp.
Thanks again
Mark

Hamma1965 - January 21st, 2015 at 09:57 PM

Hi Euro 67.
Thanks for info. Much appreciated.
Sent pm.
Mark

BrisDubba - January 21st, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Pete (Helbus) there are pictures of the car in the link that Daimo (Hellbugged) put up..

1303Steve - January 21st, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamma1965
Hi Steve.
Yes mate. Followed up lead. Got Graham's number. Have spoken and expressed my interest to purchase car. Hoping to sort in near future. Car has not even been started for 9 years plus rubbing and sweating under a tarp.
Thanks again
Mark

We need a like button here, thats great news, I hope it can be saved

hellbugged - January 22nd, 2015 at 06:18 AM

:tu:

vw54 - January 22nd, 2015 at 06:34 AM

I have down loaded for all to look at

vw54 - January 23rd, 2015 at 06:29 AM

found it but its blue nowdays

AA003 - January 23rd, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
found it but its blue nowdays

.....and some kid's drawn a circle around it!:lol:

vw54 - January 23rd, 2015 at 12:34 PM

its the RED RING of the FIREBUG

:lol:

bugmaniaar - January 28th, 2015 at 01:10 AM

And looks like the daleks are attacking it from the right,2 with a green top and 1 with a red top......:lol: