Board Logo

Administrivia: New Server Time
vanderaj - January 2nd, 2020 at 09:49 AM

Hi there,

I have just bought a new CentOS 8 VPS for the forum. I'll be getting it ready over the next couple of days, and then there will be about 4 hours of downtime whilst I move the server from one place to another.

Since I live in the US now, I will do this when you're all asleep. The new server is located back in Australia (the current one is in Singapore), as Linode's new pricing allows me to have it there with no price penalty.

As CentOS 8 has a new version of PHP that the forum software was never designed for, I'm hoping it will be okay. If you notice that the forum is not working in some way, please post here, and I will get it resolved.

I hope everyone has a fantastic new year, and you're all safe from the fires. We saw a burnt out Beetle on the TV news here, so I know at least one Beetle has been taken from us. Please stay safe, my wife and I are thinking of you all.

vanderaj - January 3rd, 2020 at 08:07 AM

I've taken a test backup. I'm currently copying it to the new server. Once over, I will be restoring the test and getting the server ready, and doing preliminary UAT testing.

Once I'm happy everything is working as much as here, I will take another final backup and restore that over the test backup, so you will not lose anything.

hulbyw - January 3rd, 2020 at 10:30 AM

Thanks for all your work Andrew, looking after us on the forum
Cheers......Wayne