Board Logo

shannons insurance
kombi_kid - August 29th, 2002 at 08:32 PM

hey
anyone got the number for them?
or can anyone recommend anyone else who wil linsure my bro and his beetle? he is only 17 and has a 67 beetle with a modified motor?
cheers
rhys

REDKG - August 29th, 2002 at 08:52 PM

have just logged to new forum, try this number 1300 139 006

geodon - August 29th, 2002 at 09:10 PM

This is the way to go for sure. You need to belong to a regd. club & have a car at least 20 (?) years old.
It's 10 years ago now but I used to have 2 MG midgets comprehenisively insured with regular drivers under 21 for around $250 pa.
The modifacitions will be a big drawback but you won't know till you ask.
When I asked why it was so cheap, I was told that the actuaries believed a car club member obviously cared about their vehicles & so were a better risk.

[Edited on 29-8-2002 by geodon]

Dasdubber - August 29th, 2002 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, Shannons are fantastic...just changed over my beetle insurance to them (from RACQ)...even with mods etc it turned out around $150 cheaper. They take into account garaging it, car club member (even though I am not), kms driven each year...cheaper if under 8000kms....etc.

kombi_kid - August 30th, 2002 at 08:19 AM

hey
is there a limit on how many km's he can do? as it will be his daily driver!
cheers
rhys

karmannghia60 - August 30th, 2002 at 09:44 AM

I have been with Shannons for about 7 years. Their rates are cheaper than anyone else. Never had to make a claim (lucky) so I can't comment on their service. I believe they have a few level of insurance based on usage (ie kms). I drive my KG less than 5ks a year which is classified as limited usage (cheaper rate). My other car is insured with them too but for around 10ks a year (I think they call it regular usage or something). They cater for everyone so you shouldn't have a problem with your daily driver. What I recommed is for you to get the initial aggrement on what you want the value of the car to be. I had my KG insured for $12k initially. They tried to increase the value to $18k later but they wouldn't do it over the phone. They had to inspect the car

Bizarre - August 30th, 2002 at 11:43 AM

Yeah but when i rang Shannons they didnt want to know me cause i parked my car on the driveway. I have a garage but the house was extended and blocks the drive now. So who in sures modified cars WITHOUT a garage

Baja Wes - August 30th, 2002 at 05:04 PM

I don't think shannons insure drivers under 20. not sure though

kombi_kid - August 30th, 2002 at 05:30 PM

yer they dont insure anyone under the age of 21 :( what a bummer anyway he has insurance with NRMA until he is that age!
cheers
rhys
p.s. thanks for all your inputs

68AutoBug - September 1st, 2002 at 10:53 AM

Thats great news, I hope to have at least one of My beetles on the road by Xmas.. & they are Garaged.. guarded by 2 Dogs.. & should be under 8000 kms a year.. I will have to join a regd club.. & I'm an oldie..
NOT too old mind you...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dasdubber
Yeah, Shannons are fantastic...just changed over my beetle insurance to them (from RACQ)...even with mods etc it turned out around $150 cheaper. They take into account garaging it, car club member (even though I am not), kms driven each year...cheaper if under 8000kms....etc.
:thumb