Board Logo

What fuel is best, additives required?
kombi-troppo - October 4th, 2005 at 12:15 AM

Hi, I have recently moved to these fine shores and bought myself my first Kombi. Now I have three - how did that happen?
I was told by the previous owner of the first van (74 Bay Camper) to use 91 unleaded and to then add some valve additive (van has 1600DP standard as far as i'm aware). I have been doing this for 4 months but have just read that this type of additive may not be required. What kind of fuel is best for the engine and is the additive required?
Thanks.

oval TOFU - October 4th, 2005 at 12:29 AM

hey dude, welcome to AVD!

Do a search on this topic, it's been done to death..

most ppl here will tell you to run RON 95 premium (PULP), normal ULP will probably make your engine ping... you can try it out by all means, but you'll probably come crawling to PULP (coz the price is so shiet!)

I also use Flashlube - some ppl say use a valve saver lube,some ppl say you don't need it (for later model engines), but either way, I use it coz I got liters of it at home and a bit of extra protection won't go astray...

kombi-troppo - October 4th, 2005 at 12:34 AM

Yeah thanks, I tried looking around the site as I thought it may be a FAQ but couldnt find. Will try a topic search. Should have done that first - newbie - sorry!
Thanks again.

VDUBXTC - October 4th, 2005 at 12:49 AM

PULP95. your choice to use aditive, but i would just to be on the safe side.

MickH - October 4th, 2005 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kombi-troppo
Yeah thanks, I tried looking around the site as I thought it may be a FAQ but couldnt find. Will try a topic search. Should have done that first - newbie - sorry!
Thanks again.

Welcome!! Just waiting for summer to hit.....I used flashlube and pulp..

PrettyBlueBug - October 4th, 2005 at 08:26 AM

I was using Optimax for ages (and always use the additive too)... then the price was going up and up, so I tried normal Unleaded. No pinging, but I noticed a difference in the way my Beetle was driving. It felt 'heavier' if that makes sense..... so now I use Unleaded 95 and all is good again! :thumb