Board Logo

Albins gears
dangerous - December 10th, 2015 at 02:35 PM

They are the best there is.
Depending on ratio(tooth size and count) and driving style ;)
I would say you could put double that through them indefinitely.

Slicks an 8600rpm launches are a whole 'nother story!

The crown wheel and pinion, super diff and output splines on your CV flanges will be the weak link now.

Craig Torrens - December 11th, 2015 at 01:04 PM

https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000154/1004912 

https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000154/1004913 

pete wood - December 29th, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jak Rizzo
Thank you for the reply Dave, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I have no immediate plans to turn up the boost as I feel it is more than enough power for my driving ability, but at least I know it can handle it.

Ratios are 3.0, 2.0, 1.25, 0.80 with a 3.88 RP
Currently have 3.78, 2.06, 1.26, 0.82

I wanted a taller 2nd but Albins no longer make custom ratios for vw boxes

Ummm, have you looked into a subaru gears 5 speed? MUCH stronger, better ratios, you could fit an LSD, etc, etc... ;)

lou0060 - January 5th, 2016 at 08:07 PM

Hi Jak,
Boris and Henry built my Type 1 box with Albin gears 6 years ago and I have had it to Warwick 5 times now plus circuit sprints, street sprints and hill climbs and still going strong. Currently 280hp.
No idea what the ratios are as I didn't get the details of them at the time. with 15" wheels it is good for 200plus down Lakeside straight. Not sure of top speed as the speedo only goes to 200 and I am doing that when I go under the bridge and still accelerating.....

I've thought of the subi box and think the only reason I would go that way would be to get a sequential shift.

hellbugged - January 5th, 2016 at 09:06 PM

Limo diff Jak?

essex - January 10th, 2016 at 03:49 PM

What ever Mr.Butler says works for me.

coletrickle - March 12th, 2016 at 02:50 PM

No albins in my hobo spec db box.all second hand busted shit set up correctly and all coated gears sliders etc.Never had an issue I'm sure the coating has helped, if I was doing it again I'd be sending all bits to mob that do HPMF.

Flintstones - March 12th, 2016 at 07:37 PM

Jak, generally when gears are cut straight then they will be noisy, but this also provides the most strength i.e race cars
Typically for normal passenger type applications (OEM) gears are cut at an angle to reduce the noise but in doing so this naturally reduces the strength.
Cheers

HappyDaze - March 13th, 2016 at 07:33 AM

Quickest and easiest fix...EARPLUGS.

Oh, and would you mind speaking a bit louder, Jak...my hearing is not too good.

dangerous - March 13th, 2016 at 09:40 AM

If you bought your set from Albins and it is a taller than stock ratio (ie 2.0 or taller)
the gear on the main shaft is too wide.

The ones they do for Weddle are correct by the way!

When the operating sleeve engages the idler, it hits on the main shaft gear's face,
and never fully seats square, which contributes to the noise.

Also the reverse idler needs to be cleared for the taller 2nd gears because they rub,
both due to the diameter, and the aforementioned incorrect width.

2nd gear on the main shaft needs to be reduced in width.

Any gear with a coarser tooth will be slightly noisier,
but there is no reason for 2nd gear to be any different to the others
unless it is a larger tooth module size.

PAZZAN - March 14th, 2016 at 04:08 PM

is the gearbox solid mounted ,that doesn't help

pete wood - March 19th, 2016 at 12:29 PM

I had an Albins 4th in a bus box in my buggy = very noisy.

I think, like others have said, it's the straight cut. Could also be that over time it'll wear in and settle down a bit maybe?

cnfabo - March 19th, 2016 at 09:27 PM

My ex zannello now Andrew Fraser's gbox had albins gears and was not noisy at all and that's with no interior and solid mounted...