Board Logo

Fuel pressure regulator and gauge
Bizarre - January 10th, 2013 at 08:30 AM

It's about time I put a regulator on my Dells

Doesn't seem our shops sell much more than the redline dial style or the empi onle

Neither of these seem to be what I want. If I am going to put one on I would like one with the gauge.

There seem to be some on ebay -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SARD-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-with-Gauge-Gold-Color...

Has anyone used this brand - Sards - or have a better recommendation

Thanks

Camo - January 10th, 2013 at 08:34 AM

Price is good, but check to make sure this isn't for EFI. I know it says 0-8 but it may be x eg KPA.

My eyes aren't good enough to read the small print on the scale and it doesn't say in the add.

Kev

hellbugged - January 10th, 2013 at 08:37 AM

I've had a Mallory with vdo gauge on mine for a very very long time. I remember it cost more than the pump, but I've just started looking for pump number 3 tho :(

Mines a 4207 which despite saying 4-12 psi actually adjusts fine to as low as 2

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=390521231119&index=17&a...

It has 2 outlets so I run a single barbed banjo on each carb which you can get from our eBay buddy Alfa...

Just make sure you select one that can get down to 2.5 psi and choose a make sure it's a diaphram type

Make sure outlets match your fuel line size, best to get one that uses brass fittings so you can achieve this

ian.mezz - January 10th, 2013 at 08:56 AM

just pop into autobarn , they sell a few different types,
holley etc .
iF you running stock vw fuel pump dont need one . :crazy:

grumble - January 10th, 2013 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bizarre
It's about time I put a regulator on my Dells

Doesn't seem our shops sell much more than the redline dial style or the empi onle

Neither of these seem to be what I want. If I am going to put one on I would like one with the gauge.

There seem to be some on ebay -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SARD-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-with-Gauge-Gold-Color...

Has anyone used this brand - Sards - or have a better recommendation

Thanks

Barry talk to barls as he had a few failures with lucky escapes regarding fuel in the engine bay.

Sides - January 10th, 2013 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hellbugged
I've had a Mallory with vdo gauge on mine for a very very long time. I remember it cost more than the pump, but I've just started looking for pump number 3 tho :(

Can't go wrong with a Mallory IMHO

With my IDFs I ran a return style 4307 with appropriate gauge for years, and when upgraded to EFI went with Mallory again just with the different pressure rating (4305)

Pay and cry once basically.

:tu:

Bizarre - January 12th, 2013 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hellbugged

Mines a 4207 which despite saying 4-12 psi actually adjusts fine to as low as 2

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=390521231119&index=17&a...

It has 2 outlets so I run a single barbed banjo on each carb which you can get from our eBay buddy Alfa...

Just make sure you select one that can get down to 2.5 psi and choose a make sure it's a diaphram type

Make sure outlets match your fuel line size, best to get one that uses brass fittings so you can achieve this

What is the difference between a 4207 you used and the 4309 listed on ebay?

I see AC.net sells the 4309 and the VDO gauge
How does the gauge mount with the Mallory?

I assume you need to buy barbs for it?

Oh - and why do you say 2.5 lbs??
Is that what you run your carbs at??
Not 3.5lbs??
Are you running Dells or Webers??

thanks

Bizarre - January 12th, 2013 at 02:58 PM

OK - just got a reply that they do not reccoment permanent mounting og the gauge??

Any comment on this??

ian.mezz - January 12th, 2013 at 03:36 PM

once you have your pressure set, theirs no need for a gauge. a fuel presure gauge is for testing problems as you cant see it when your driving.

hellbugged - January 12th, 2013 at 04:06 PM

Yeah I leave the gauge on.... Been handy on the side of the road wondering why I had stopped despite the fuel pump still running.... Was a blocked tank outlet

Yes I have dells

I run at 3 psi, but have run at 2.5 successfully too

I will double check on my part number... Wasn't much at all available in 1997 when I purchased it. Posted links to the 4307 cause it had a lower pressure range than when I purchased mine back in the pre interweb days..... It's been on daily duties that entire time on stock to performance engines

Yes fittings standard stuff from pirtech/ enzed etc

Bizarre - January 12th, 2013 at 04:30 PM

OK - the 4309 is a 3 port and needs a return line

The 4207 is a 2 port - and I believe this is what I want

hellbugged - January 12th, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Okies, so just checked and yes mine is 4207... Yes two outlets and gauge screws straight into a dedicated port for that purpose

Running a 90' fitting on the inlet so it can be against the firewall.... Straight fitting there would necessitate big space to run the feed line without kinks

I'm using berg ball type inlet valves ("needle and seats") in the carbs for full flow on tiny travel so no need for higher psi on the reg to keep bowls full

Dells are smooooooth !

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/Ratstoration/P1080372Medium.jpg

SunshineKarmann - January 15th, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Howdy,

Just running in my fresh 1904. Fitted a Holley regulator - running 36 IDF's. I have a gauge however have pulled it off once the pressure was set. 2 minute job to put it back on. One less point of failure - personal preference. Also didn't want the engine bay to look too 'gairish', save and except the 36ers! Here's a pic showing regulator on firewall. Got a Carter rotary pump pushing fuel from the front

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac221/SunshineUVB/1904_zps05169340.jpg

humpty - January 16th, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I ran a deadhead setup (that cheap little fuel miser FPR) on my dellorto fed bug for years without issue, but the pressure was not very consistent. Have also found that most all pumps work better and last longer if they are hooked into a fuel return system...

Deadhead setups like you guys are talking about can kill pumps.... On my holley fed turbo bug I run a carter pump now (after killing 3 holley's), and an aeromotive FPR (13301) with a gauge (after have loads of issues with the holley FPRs)....
I run the same FPR on my turbo efi bus.... I'll be running the aeromotive FPR on my dellorto fed ragtop too, if I ever get it finished!

Buy the best you can, you wont waste you coin like I did.