Board Logo

Legalities Of Lowering In QLD
BuggaUp - May 27th, 2014 at 07:58 PM

Hey Guys, new to the scene and been searching through the threads but haven't come across anything that helps me.

i have a 1968 beetle 1500 thim wanting to lower it.

im in qld and all the engineers seem to say to me is it needs to come with a statement saying the parts are for road use from the manufacturer.

alot of you guys obviously have experience in this field so if you could point me in the right direction or give me advice im all ears.

i want to narrow the beam to tuck to get it real low. but im under the impression its not legal. so i ask how can i legally lower.

LUFTMEISTER - May 27th, 2014 at 08:23 PM

HERE WE GO AGAIN.:yes: Is that Pandora's Box opening up next to a can of worms .:crazy:

Bizarre - May 27th, 2014 at 08:32 PM

Simple answer is MANY cars have been lowered legally

You need to talk to a VW knowledgeable engineer.

Join a club, chat to some propper work shops.

It is just a LONG winded story to give a simple answer on a forum

I think the simple answer is you need 100mm clearance

Narrowing is a whole different story, and is a lot harder to get approved

BuggaUp - May 27th, 2014 at 08:42 PM

you guys are enthusiasts hence why im asking....

i dont know any proper workshops nor vw engineer hence asking the question....

thanks guys

Bizarre - May 27th, 2014 at 08:47 PM

you have PM

psimitar - May 28th, 2014 at 01:06 AM

By NCOP rules the lowest part of the chassis, or body if it sits lower than the chassis, is equal to or greater than 100mm.

Also, the track can be changed but I forget by the amount. The engineer I had sign off my seat frames and seatbelts said the adjusters didn't concern him and qould be fine by QLD transport rules, and he used to work for QLD transport. My IRS conversion however does need citing by a QLD transport engineer as a valid mod but he said as the job was well done it wouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunately, as with many Oz regualtions, they aren't very definitive and as such a lot of the time it comes down to the individual engineer as to whether he thinks it's acceptable. One may say yes and another no.

vwo60 - May 28th, 2014 at 08:02 AM

I spoke to the Queensland main road engineers and he stated that no narrowing of the track is allowed out side the 25mm over track limit, i think you are allowed to lower your car up to 1/3 reducion in bump stop measurement, dropped spindles can be run legally if you can find an enginer to sign off on them, will required to be tested at his disgression.

h - May 28th, 2014 at 08:01 PM

:crazy: can of worms yup yup :lol:

LUFTMEISTER - May 28th, 2014 at 09:06 PM

In other words. Open your wallet & pour it into an engineers pocket & he may okay your mod. BUT if you get sent over the pits by the police, another engineer may NOT approve the parts used, that were designed by one engineer and approved by another engineer. Guess who wins in this game. :ninja:

psimitar - May 29th, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LUFTMEISTER
In other words. Open your wallet & pour it into an engineers pocket & he may okay your mod. BUT if you get sent over the pits by the police, another engineer may NOT approve the parts used, that were designed by one engineer and approved by another engineer. Guess who wins in this game. :ninja:

I beleive that once the blue plate is fitted and signed by the engineer then no one else can contest it unless it looks that dodgy when at the Transport office check.

psimitar - May 29th, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Oh, and unless fitting a disc kit to an LP bug then narrowing is just a 'looks' thing. From a safety standpoint it makes the car handle worse at speed.

vwo60 - May 30th, 2014 at 10:31 AM

The engineer accepts responsability for the mods he signs off on, if you have a agreement before you start and the mods discussed in detail showing him all the parts you intend to use along with any paper work there should be no issues, i disigned my front and rear disc conversion on my early beetle, this included billet hubs that i machined out of aluminium along with the steel brackets, CAD drawing were done and submitted, calculations were done for the the brake bias to take into account for the increase of front and rear braking , when i fitted them to the car the engineer carried out the brake test and inspected all aspects of this mod, passed first time, blue plate attached. a total of 18MM over track when it was finnished, this let me keep close to the scub radius of the standard car.

LUFTMEISTER - May 30th, 2014 at 01:12 PM

See Buggaup thats how easy it is. So grab a six pack and get into it this week-end. Happy motoring. Did notice there was no costings attached to the easyblue plate option?????

vwo60 - May 30th, 2014 at 03:32 PM

There is no easy blue plate option if the engineer is doing his job only a lot of back ground engineering that can achive the outcome i got along with the correct fabrication of the components, cost was about $500 for the engineering and about 200 hours of my time.

kombibob - May 30th, 2014 at 04:37 PM

I lost control of my kombi the other day and crashed into a pre school, my front wheel was 2 inches away from hitting a sleeping child!
All I can say is thank god I was running a narrowed beam.

vwo60 - May 30th, 2014 at 06:45 PM

lucky you were

BuggaUp - May 30th, 2014 at 07:09 PM

thanks guys appreciate it,

i all for the lowered look and just want it low haha
if i can sit it that low without narrowing then im all for it.

tar76 - May 30th, 2014 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kombibob
I lost control of my kombi the other day and crashed into a pre school, my front wheel was 2 inches away from hitting a sleeping child!
All I can say is thank god I was running a narrowed beam.

Got to watch those banana peels on the Road Bob!! I hear narrowed beams don't like em. :lol: :lol: :lol:

kombibob - May 30th, 2014 at 07:26 PM

Tell me about it dude!
Was thrown at me by a turtle driving a slammed ragtop beetle .

vwo60 - May 31st, 2014 at 10:20 AM

All revelent to the question

oldturtle22 - May 31st, 2014 at 06:12 PM

Ive just fitted a 4 in narrowed beam to my 59 Beetle and want to know peoples previous experience on cutting the drag link. The passenger side seems easy, determine length, cut thread inside drag link with a tap, install tie rod, On the drivers side the tie rods are crimped to the drag link, I want to know what you've done in the past.

thanx in advance.

Chris