Board Logo

AA Piston kits
GottaSplit - May 31st, 2014 at 09:12 PM

Hey guys...
As per the title, have any of you guys bought/installed these kits? I have looked at their website a few months ago, just weighing up my options.
As I am close to getting my Beetle on the road. Its a stock stale air 40hp, was looking at their big bore 40 horse kit just to freshen it up and give it a little more oomph....
Maybe even buy the 1916 kit as well for my bus.

cheers Jamie

Bizarre - May 31st, 2014 at 09:55 PM

I have heard good and bad about them

Mahle, JE or Wiseco would be better
Anything forged rather than cast - which i am pretty sure is what AA is

For under a 6,000 rev mid power motor I reckon they would be fine

Doubt I would use them in an 8,000 rev 150HP stonker

fish26 - June 1st, 2014 at 12:23 AM

AA 40hp kit consists of cast iron cylinders and Hypereutectic pistons which will be fine for your and most applications.

Since hypereutectic pistons are stronger than the old fashioned cast in steel supported skirt cast pistons the rules have changed and unless you need the extra strength of forged it is unlikely you need anything more. The other consideration is forged pistons need more clearance of a eutectic piston and usually wear the rings faster due to piston rock.

Stanley - June 1st, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Ran AA 87mm kit in my notch for a few years...still going strong as far as i know.

FROSTY - June 1st, 2014 at 05:29 PM

I'm currently running (flogging the shit out of) AA 1776 piston and cylinder kit (69mm stroke) in my drag car, i have had them to 8000rpm and no problems (yet) i have run8.04 on the 1/8th and 12.75 1/4. I would have no hesitation using them in a road car. (this is my opinion)
thanks
Jason

bajachris88 - June 1st, 2014 at 07:27 PM

I have AA 94mm piston kit. Crankshaft engineering didn't have any complaints or issues balancing em'.

After a long background check on Samba, the racer boys were keen on em' as the pistons are lighter than other competitors products, reducing the reciprocating mass :).