Board Logo

Left hand side view mirror
jakeandco1958 - August 18th, 2016 at 07:59 PM

I want to fit a side view mirror to the left hand side door to match the drivers side. I don't want to drill any big holes and weld in a nut. Is there any aftermarket mirror that could be screwed in and looks like the original? I have a 1970 beetle

psimitar - August 19th, 2016 at 09:42 PM

So for your year the door should have the factory fitted screw hole for the std mirrors. Does your door have the threaded hole?

If not then you'd have to stick your hand up into the door to check if it's there and just been bogged over.

If it's defo not there then it is something that could be welded in.

I mean, the original mirrors work pretty well on the later models and are readily available from aftermarket suppliers.

Anyhow, see how ya go finding the original screw hole. It's in front of the qtr light above the swage line.

AA003 - August 20th, 2016 at 06:28 AM

No 1970 does not have a hole for the mirror on the left side. You used to be able to buy left side mirrors that came with a nut. You just drill a hole and put the nut on the inside of the door.

psimitar - August 20th, 2016 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AA003
No 1970 does not have a hole for the mirror on the left side. You used to be able to buy left side mirrors that came with a nut. You just drill a hole and put the nut on the inside of the door.

Wow, thought by then it was std fitment? Or was Aus still dragging behind Europe and USA?

68AutoBug - August 20th, 2016 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jakeandco1958
I want to fit a side view mirror to the left hand side door to match the drivers side. I don't want to drill any big holes and weld in a nut. Is there any aftermarket mirror that could be screwed in and looks like the original? I have a 1970 beetle

Hi
I fitted a mirror on the LHS door of My 1968 Beetle... was a job and a half from memory... VERY difficult to screw on the nut...
The door wasn't designed for someone to drill a hole in and put a nut on the end... lol..:no:
I ended up drilling a hole on the inside to fit the nut on the mirror end.... and used a rubber plug... car was already painted.

I would look for a later LHS door with the threaded hole and plug...
Yes... VW only fitted safety items to Aussie beetles when the law required... regardless of what was fitted overseas..

It is difficult to drive without a LHS mirror these days...

LEE

jakeandco1958 - August 21st, 2016 at 02:59 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've seen some karmann this mirrors that don't need a hole drilled. Looks the same but has two screws that fit onto door with a threaded plate