Board Logo

Massive oil breather leak
ultrasuede - June 4th, 2017 at 07:18 PM

Hi all,

I just too the bug out for a drive. After about 40 minutes, I noticed smoke trailing behind the car. I stopped, left the engine running and had a look. There was heaps of oil spewing out of the oil filler tube that runs to the road, all over the muffler.
I then stuffed a plastic bag into my oil filler to plug up the pipe. I keep on driving, and soon notice more smoke. Now there is oil pissing out of (what I presume) my rear seal. Long story short, I had to get towed.
Any ideas?

Bizarre - June 4th, 2017 at 08:31 PM

Check that the breather pipe is clear

it is the pipe that runs from beside the oil filler the the air filter

It often fills with oil laden ling and causes the problem you are talking about

It that is clear then take the oil cap off and go for a short drive and see if it is still happening

Your compression rings may be shot and causing "blow by"

ultrasuede - June 6th, 2017 at 04:24 PM

its the road vent tube coming of the filler. I'm also using an aftermarket air cleaner, but I lost a tank of oil in about 15 minutes..

ragged - June 6th, 2017 at 04:49 PM

have you had the generator stand off of the engine lately?

silver - June 6th, 2017 at 07:25 PM

Overfilled ?? too much oil will do this as well,
plugging the pipe would prevent it Breathing and probably build up the oil pressure it will then blow out seals and such

viiking - June 6th, 2017 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ultrasuede
its the road vent tube coming of the filler. I'm also using an aftermarket air cleaner, but I lost a tank of oil in about 15 minutes..

Or bad news hole in a piston?

hellbugged - June 7th, 2017 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ultrasuede
I'm also using an aftermarket air cleaner, but..

Does it havea breather hose connecting it to the generator stand?

Bizarre - June 7th, 2017 at 07:32 AM

Can you post a picture of the setup

ancientbugger - June 7th, 2017 at 10:10 AM

The oil breather tube could just be bent or blocked not allowing pressure in the case to escape therefore pushing oil out anywhere it can escape. Try what Bizarre said but either way now it has possible popped the rear seal it's an engine out scenario now.

pete wood - June 7th, 2017 at 04:13 PM

First time I had this the motor was cooked and had massive blow by. Next time I had it the rings on cyl 4 had lined up their gaps. Blow by again.

ultrasuede - June 7th, 2017 at 07:17 PM

I have taken the alternator holder off recently, but I have since driven it a fair distance.

Mind the red sealant. I thought that the seal was the problem

Bizarre - June 7th, 2017 at 08:46 PM

your breather is that golden hose
It should be clean inside and free of kinks

make sure it is not blocked on the inside of the filler

take the cap of and start it up
how much air is being pushed out the filler?

southspark - June 8th, 2017 at 09:44 AM

Rather than guessing on the blow by just do a simple compression test that will tell you if the problem is internal or not.

Paul

silver - June 9th, 2017 at 07:43 PM

also you will find that genuine vw plug leads work better than fancy aftermarket or silicone ones