Board Logo

Lowering a 69 lowlight
mundymx - June 27th, 2017 at 03:47 PM

Have recently picked up a 1969 lowlight and im looking at lowering it. What's the best way to go about this? After some advice on what other people have done & if there is anywhere in Australia that sells custom lowing kits (narrowed adjustable beams).
Also wanting to convert to disc brakes on the front & after some advice on this also.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Cheers.

waltermitty - June 27th, 2017 at 05:02 PM

Drop spindles on the front with late bay discs was a bolt on for my 70 lowlight. But yours might be different being wide 5. If i was you i would keep the drums if they are set up properly they are very good brakes. Also changing to discs means changing to narrow 5 stud pattern very cool feature for early bays INHO, unless you use a sherman or similar wide 5 disc conversion but that will widen your track and cause problems with tires interfering with the guards. So fix brakes good, spindles on front and turn a few splines on the rear good for 3 - 31/2 inch drop a still maintains good ride, and lower you start to talk big $ lots of mods and shit ride.

mundymx - September 11th, 2017 at 01:36 PM

Been looking around for drop spindles to suit my early bay window and it seems they are in short supply for 68-70 models. I have stumbled across these.. ( http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/1968-70-dropped-2-5-inch-drum-s... ) just wondering if anyone has used them before or could point me in the direction of any other brands, possibly cheaper options?

waltermitty - September 11th, 2017 at 07:12 PM

do you want to keep wide 5?

mundymx - September 12th, 2017 at 07:17 AM

Yea, wanting to keep the original 5x205 rims

waltermitty - September 12th, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Adjusters then. As far as i know (?) drop spindles are only for late disc brake front ends i updated my lowie to late when i installed the drop spindles.
I believe that drop spindles are the most comfortable way to lower and that any lowering more than 3 - 3 1/2 inches is not condusive to smooth ride.
Moderate lowering with adjusters will be fine

mundymx - September 13th, 2017 at 07:21 AM

Thank you for the input, looks like I might be going down the path of beam adjusters.

lolight70 - October 28th, 2017 at 07:25 PM

French slammers make dspindles for your model

waltermitty - October 29th, 2017 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lolight70
French slammers make dspindles for your model

tell us more