Board Logo

Measure Bore without pulling heads off?
mossman - August 14th, 2017 at 08:39 PM

Hi Guys,
does anyone know of a way to internally measure the size of a cylinder bore and stroke (to determine engine size) without dismantling an engine? Is there some small laser/3D imaging tool or camera that can be inserted in the spark plug hole?
My T1 engine number suggests it is a 1600 but I suspect it is bigger.
Cheers

Bizarre - August 14th, 2017 at 09:53 PM

I do not know of any way other than using a ruler

adlbeetle66 - August 14th, 2017 at 10:09 PM

I would think that you could measure the stroke by putting something long (e.g. a push rod) down the spark plug hole and mark the two most extreme points of the stroke on the rod
Measure the distance between those two points and you have your stroke length?
Hope that makes sense.

bevoracing - August 15th, 2017 at 03:40 PM

Years ago I saw a go kart scrutineer test capaity by connecting a machine to the spark plug hole and spinning the engine. Perhaps talk to a go kart racer?

psimitar - August 16th, 2017 at 12:02 PM

You could get a piston at the bottom of it's travel, disconnect the rockers for that piston so as to close the valves and then fill the cylinder with a thick enough liquid that won't quickly seep past the rings. Then you'd have the volume of a cylinder. Then divide by the stroke of the piston back to TDC and you get the area of the piston.
If you can figure a way to do that with compressed air then probably be the cleaner way to figure it out. Otherwise, as with any engine (even non-AC) you have to remove a head to measure things.