Board Logo

Wheel Alignment specs for 1976 Beetle with Ball Joint Front End
Lateral - May 7th, 2018 at 03:31 PM

Hi Guys

I have just replaced all of the ties rod ends and ball joints on my 1976 beetle and need to have a wheel alignment.

Can somebody please provide me with the correct specs, Camber, toe in/out etc?

The wheels and tyres are:

Ronals 5.5" Width
185 x 65 tyres

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Greg

RodPenrose - May 7th, 2018 at 08:22 PM

Hi Greg,

The factory settings are about 1/4 degree + to 0 degrees on the camber side. There are no real castor settings with the camber at this however you can add a set of castor shims if you wish, but only if you have lowered the front beam. The total toe in will be about 1-2mm overall.

On some of the race cars we use a 3mm total toe in but this is mainly to compensate for the 3 to 4 - degrees camber used. With more camber the inside of the tyre gets used more so more toe in will use more of the outside for the tyre to compensate this when turning.

AA003 - May 8th, 2018 at 05:44 AM

Take it to someone that knows what they are doing. Do not take it to a tyre service.

If you are near Taren Point take it to East Coast Suspensions. (I travel 100kms to go there)

hulbyw - May 8th, 2018 at 03:58 PM

And preferably someone who charges by the hour rather than a set fee. May cost a little more but if the operator has issues getting it right, if you are paying him/her a fair price they are more likely to get the job done correctly rather than hey your time's up bud
Cheers

Lateral - May 8th, 2018 at 04:20 PM

Thanks for the information guys!

Cheers
Greg

Bizarre - May 9th, 2018 at 01:21 PM

Tyresmart at Motlake know what they are doing with old VW's