Board Logo

1915 and heads
Whitty - October 4th, 2018 at 02:43 PM

Have recently pulled apart a seized motor I was given just for something to do, and to try and learn a few things. Piston was rusted to barrel which was stopping it spinning.

Anyway, after pulling it apart, I am having delusions where I reckon I could put it back together again. Am going to get it machined for 94 pistons and use the bits I have to put it back together.

I'll get the crank, rods etc balanced, new bearings etc and that is where my funds will dry up. Which leaves me new slugs and barrels, induction, heads and exhaust to try and rustle up. Will be getting chinese pistons and barrels.

I have a pair of stock DP heads, shitty pair of stock SP heads, the stock cam has one flogged lobe. My aim is to put together the motor and get it running and in the car just to say I did it myself. Not to break any horsepower or RPM records, and I have exactly fuck all money to do it, so will be cheaping out where possible.

Looking for advice on a cam choice, given it will be a daily, wont be spinning over 5500RPM and most likely will be fed from a 40DCNF single because thats a $400 option versus twin 44IDF's etc. I'm a bit of a boy racer at heart so don't mind a cam that is a bit of a pig, as long as its "daily" manageable ie. it has to start relatively easily at 5 in the morning.

And if anyone has a set of DP heads from an old build lying around gathering dust, give us a yell. Thanks for your help,

Whitty

Bizarre - October 5th, 2018 at 08:11 AM

Consider an Engle 110 or Scat, Webcam, CB equivalent.
Also 1.4 rockers.
If going single carb make sure you have preheat. Best is vintage speed or stock
Stock carb rejetted will suffice.
Single DCN will be a pig to jet.
Dual 44's too big
Dual 40 with 32 or 34 Venturi

Whitty - October 5th, 2018 at 10:07 PM

1.4 rockers not an option at this point. Anyone had luck with re-jetting a stock carb on a 1916?

Whitty - October 5th, 2018 at 10:10 PM

Thanks for the reply also, Barry. I remember the times on here when someone would mention 1916 motors and the place would erupt. Nowadays 1 reply in two days. Ah the memories. :lol:

Bizarre - October 6th, 2018 at 08:31 AM

Hah..... those were the days.
I see you are a long term person.

As for the motor, yes I had a 1915 with a stock carb rejetted
Can't tell you the sizing of jets but was a nice torquey motor

Was built by the blokes from VWPC in Tuggeranong

My mate does same with 1776

See if I can find out what he used

If a daily driver and your car is not garaged this is a great option
Duals on a beetle that is left outside in weather can be a pain in wet weather
For 15 yrs I had various versions on motors in my daily 1303
And the stock 1915 was the most trouble free
Not as powerful as my final one but a "stock" 1915 is about 25% on a stock 1600

Whitty - October 8th, 2018 at 07:14 PM

So no one has a old set of dp heads lying around the shed anywhere?

Whitty - October 16th, 2018 at 08:21 PM

........tumbleweeds................".

coletrickle - October 17th, 2018 at 04:58 PM

Scat c35 is a nice little cam for a daily,but ive run a stock 1600 with dual 48idas mech advance and a merged header ran 10.29 on the 8th at warrick in a baha.A 1916 like that would be fun.Id be carfull with ratio rockers some cams break springs with them.

coletrickle - October 17th, 2018 at 06:40 PM

VW 54 your spreading misinformation regarding carb sizing,a carb will only supply fuel relative to the vacume signal the engine gives it.