Board Logo

Fitting VW Beetle Tow Bar
m4co - September 28th, 2020 at 12:27 PM

Hello,

Does this tow bar require the guard to be cut when installing on VW Beetle?
Does anyone have pictures of it installed?

https://i.ibb.co/RPkkFPF/20200927-173627-HDR-resized.jpg

Thank you

grumble - September 28th, 2020 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by m4co
Hello,

Does this tow bar require the guard to be cut when installing on VW Beetle?
Does anyone have pictures of it installed?

https://i.ibb.co/RPkkFPF/20200927-173627-HDR-resized.jpg

Thank you

I thought that I had seen nearly all of the towbars on the early beetles but I have never seen one of those. I do not know of any that required body panels to be cut as this would weaken them, there was a similar one that was popular but apart from the bumper mountings the mounting arm went forwards and another hole was drilled to support the bar.

bushed - September 29th, 2020 at 09:27 AM

looks extra heavy and weird as Grumble said...unseen b4! I would cut off the top above the bar and dd another bolt inside add strong larger washers when bolting the 3rd hole.

HappyDaze - October 1st, 2020 at 08:07 PM

That tow-bar would not be any good for serious towing. There would surely be some damage done due to 'stretching'.

There was a tow-bar available once, that connected to the torsion-bar tubes, the 2 'big' engine bolts, and the bumper bracket mounts. The towing loads were distributed over a wide range of strong points. I successfully towed my Formula Vee behind the '68 1500 Beetle, using this tow-bar.

grumble - October 2nd, 2020 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyDaze
That tow-bar would not be any good for serious towing. There would surely be some damage done due to 'stretching'.

There was a tow-bar available once, that connected to the torsion-bar tubes, the 2 'big' engine bolts, and the bumper bracket mounts. The towing loads were distributed over a wide range of strong points. I successfully towed my Formula Vee behind the '68 1500 Beetle, using this tow-bar.

They were a good bar and we must have fitted hundreds during the 1960's 1970's but there were a lot of other bars that were just that and stretched the bum of the beetle.