Board Logo

Earthing Steering Box on 1968 Beetle
hulbyw - September 30th, 2021 at 08:11 PM

So my beam is painted along with the half circle bracket that bolts the steering box to the beam. How do folks ensure that the horn will earth through the steering box when everything is painted? Do I really have to sand off some of my nice new paint?
Cheers............Wayne

Bizarre - October 1st, 2021 at 02:11 PM

If you use a claw washer it should punch through the paint

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000111330955.html 

hulbyw - October 1st, 2021 at 05:32 PM

Thanks but you have lost me. Where are you suggesting I use the claw washers please?
Cheers

vw54 - October 1st, 2021 at 06:55 PM

sand off paint

1303Steve - October 2nd, 2021 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hulbyw
Thanks but you have lost me. Where are you suggesting I use the claw washers please?
Cheers

Use a washer like that anywhere that the shaft has an earth wire

hulbyw - October 2nd, 2021 at 10:37 AM

Thanks Steve. I could use a claw washer where the earth wire from the steering column bolts on to the steering box side of the coupler, however looks like I will have to sand off the paint between the beam and the steering box so that the box earths to the beam. I used spring washers on the beam bolts so the beam is earthing to the pan ok.

Cheers.........Wayne

hulbyw - October 2nd, 2021 at 05:52 PM

Worried about nothing. Torqued up the mounting bolts then tested with a multimeter. All good. Guess the paint crushed off under the clamp when I tightened the bolts.
Cheers

grumble - October 3rd, 2021 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Worried about nothing. Torqued up the mounting bolts then tested with a multimeter. All good. Guess the paint crushed off under the clamp when I tightened the bolts.
Cheers

If it didn't then the beam would work loose and move in the clamps with dire results. If it was good enough for VW initially there is no reason that it should be any different now.

1303Steve - October 4th, 2021 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Cheers

Careful using a multi meter in some applications as there will be no load on the circuit, in this case use a good old test light.

I've seen people trying to diagnose trailer light problems with a multi meter telling me that it has 12 volts and the lights still don't work, a test light will show up any bad connection with a load

hulbyw - October 4th, 2021 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:

If it didn't then the beam would work loose and move in the clamps with dire results. If it was good enough for VW initially there is no reason that it should be any different now.

Good point.....Cheers

hulbyw - October 4th, 2021 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Careful using a multi meter in some applications as there will be no load on the circuit, in this case use a good old test light.

I've seen people trying to diagnose trailer light problems with a multi meter telling me that it has 12 volts and the lights still don't work, a test light will show up any bad connection with a load

Thanks Steve. Had to use a spare 9v battery for the smoke alarm in the camper (Beetle battery long gone) but tested ok.
Cheers