Board Logo

Convert to wheel studs?
56astro - August 29th, 2002 at 10:27 AM

I was wondering if I can convert my wheel bolts to studs and nuts. I heard somewhere that you use 1800 kombi studs and hammer them in from the rear.

At the moment I have type 3 drums on the rear and discs on the front.

:D

Baja Wes - August 29th, 2002 at 01:27 PM

You can buy kits from a lot of vw shops. they usually need the thread to be drilled out of the drum first, and then are pressed in from the rear.

MR930 - August 29th, 2002 at 07:54 PM

Neales Wheels in Sydney sell studs and nuts for VW . They screw in by allen key . About $80 to do the 4 wheels. Mark

56astro - August 29th, 2002 at 08:03 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

Astro

kombi_kid - August 29th, 2002 at 08:18 PM

do u have the number for that guy mark? just good to have in the mere future when i need them!
cheers
rhys

vw54 - August 29th, 2002 at 08:20 PM

Yeah i have the same set up on my 65 discs front and type 3 rear drums with mags.

I got some Kombi wheel nuts and bought high tensile set screws, cut the heads off to make a stud then added a few drops of locktight on the threads to stop them falling off they work great much easier when fitting yr mag wheels.

1303Steve - August 29th, 2002 at 10:10 PM

Its easier to change wheels on a dark night as well

56astro - August 30th, 2002 at 12:19 PM

Steve, that's one of the reasons I want to change, another is that I don't reckon the bolts don't go in to the hub far enough (piece of mind thing!)

Rang Neale Wheels today (02 9642 1325) and asked about the studs for VW, their reply; "Huh, what studs for Veedubs, nah not here mate."

Better get onto Luke at Pell's wrecking yard for some kombi stuff then.

Buggy Boyz - August 30th, 2002 at 12:24 PM

If you are running VW style wheels then you really need th ekombi nuts so the tapper on them is right. If you are going to use kombi studs they you need to drill out your current hub to drift them in. The kombi studs and 4 stud beetle nuts are the same thread so you as you can imaging they will screw in without drilling but you get the the tapper at the bottom and it stops.
A lot of teh after market ones will not have teh correct tapper, to suit the wheels they normally not designed fopr VW's they are simply a 14mm stud kit for universal vehicles.
Go the kombi ones unless you have mags, then go with 12mm studs are mag nuts are heap cheaper.
And yes the 12mm will be more than strong enough as long as you keep them tight.

vw54 - August 30th, 2002 at 01:25 PM

If you have access to a Blackwoods Catalogue then have a look at page 97
it lists all the hih tensile set screws you could imagine.

they are Grade 8.8 in black oxide finish then you just have to get some Kombi wheel nuts

Or you could ring VVDS in Sydney on 02-9789-1777 as they have studs available