Board Logo

Magnet in the case to collect metal particles?
Purple Martin - February 14th, 2006 at 10:20 AM

I've heard that some other makes of car have a magnet in the sump to collect metal particles. Would it be a good idea to mount one in a VW case? Would it reduce engine wear?

bajachris88 - February 14th, 2006 at 10:26 AM

hmm, thats a very simple idea. should be effective to pick up metal pieces. But if metal pieces bigger than cooking flour grains are in ur engine, i would be worried. Lol Otherwise, wouldn't hte oil filter be able to pick up the small pieces of metal floating around?

the more precautions the better i guess. Y not. :D I'm not the pro (far from it), others can give u a better answer, just am looking/analysing from what i would be doing if i was in ur position.

oval TOFU - February 14th, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Yeh, i've heard of people putting strong earth magnets on the inside surface of their sump plates to collect extra metallic particles.. You can get em from Jaycar (I'm pretty sure), some audio places and farked CD players that you may have lying around..

koolkarmakombi - February 14th, 2006 at 10:48 AM

magnetic sump plugs are the go, they pick up hears of crud. No filter on t1, just a sieve!

helbus - February 14th, 2006 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by koolkarmakombi
magnetic sump plugs are the go

Trouble is not all Type 1 engines have a sump plug. You could place a small magnet inside the strainer.

mackaymanx - February 14th, 2006 at 03:05 PM

You could try this will an old speaker magnet, My brother and I tried this on a motor we were tryng to get going. It just fits height wise. I can't give you a long term appraisal of how well it worked because after we got it going it had a big end knock like you wouldn't believe, so we just put it aside and haven't been bothered to stirp it down yet.

oval TOFU - February 14th, 2006 at 03:15 PM

that's a good idea macky!

Fred Bloggs - February 14th, 2006 at 04:16 PM

Years ago I fitted a magnet to an extended oil pick up tube when I ran an extended sump.
It collected loads of minute bits of metal.
I dont know if the metal that small would have done any damage but it was a piece of mind thing.

Fred

hellbugged - February 14th, 2006 at 06:13 PM

the idea of the magnet is too collect "hard" metal fragments before they go thru , and damage the oil pump.

a magnet won't collect alloys, but they supposedly wouldn't hurt the hard pump gears, and use of a remote filter will then collect these.

i like mackaymanx's idea, but would it cause pick up restriction?

mackaymanx - February 14th, 2006 at 07:04 PM

It would depend on if the particles deposited directly on the magnet or deposited in the cup section in the strainer from the magnet underneath.

hellbugged - February 14th, 2006 at 07:11 PM

yeah i always wondered how the pick up tube would be cleaned out when the magnet is attached to it,

but yours i'm thinking more along the lines of the oil actually flowing back to the pick up area, due to the solid nature of the speaker magnet verse a standard strainer, which themselves are often considered restrictive

oops, hang on, so it actually fits under the strainer, which is still used?

[ Edited on 14-2-06 by dumone ]

mackaymanx - February 14th, 2006 at 07:26 PM

Yeah I still had the strainer installed along with the magnet, I had a full flow installed but thought it best to leave the strainer in.

lohoon - February 14th, 2006 at 07:47 PM

I think someone sells magnetic sump plugs.One of my motorbikes has one fitted standard.You can get a wrap around velcro type magnet that fits around a oil filter.Ive seen this used by drag racers.All in all a good idea.