Board Logo

Unleaded????
pishtols - September 10th, 2002 at 11:46 PM

Wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction.

Im looking at re-building my T1 engine... what work needs to be done to the head to allow me to run unleaded or premium unleaded..?

Herbie Down Under - September 10th, 2002 at 11:53 PM

None. Vw engines were good enough to run on unleaded fuel when new even though there was no unleaded back then. To keep it happy just run it on PULP. Vw valve seats were very good and don't really need the lead in it to make them any better.

pishtols - September 11th, 2002 at 12:02 AM

thanks for that.... one less thing i need to worry bout.... :D

Che Castro - September 11th, 2002 at 08:22 PM

yeah VW valve seats have always been steel, the pre 67 ones being sintered, which is slightly less durable than the later ones. They should last quite a while on unleaded fuel, although i run some additive just to be careful.

Bobbles - September 15th, 2002 at 11:15 AM

So how do you reckon unleaded would go in my 84 watercooled bus? What sort of additive are you talking about?

Bob

Che Castro - September 15th, 2002 at 06:14 PM

mmm i dunno about an 84 bus, i'd assume that'd be a wasserboxer engine, with completely different heads to type1's. Hmmm the additive i use is called Valvemaster, its pretty cheap at about $13 for enough to do 250 Litres

70AutoStik - September 15th, 2002 at 06:53 PM

84 bus, use unleaded, it was designed for it (Germany had already gone the ULP route, although late in that year it wasn't the cause of their environmental problems...)

Bobbles - September 16th, 2002 at 07:12 AM

Well, my 84 bus (yes, watercooled) does not have the smaller restricted filler neck like an unleaded car, and the owner manual says use 91 octane petrol...

Bob

KruizinKombi - September 16th, 2002 at 07:10 PM

Just use PULP and you'll be fine :)

70AutoStik - September 16th, 2002 at 08:41 PM

Unleaded petrol is 91 Octane; you'll only need to use PULP if you've run a lot of LRP through it, clogging the heads. If you're nervous, put half a tank of ULP in, if you get pinging, topping up with PULP should solve it, but you'd be better off finding out what's wrong with it.