Board Logo

Are the Kadrons same as Solex?
karmannghia60 - September 22nd, 2002 at 09:17 PM

I apologise if I am asking a silly question but are the two the same?

kombi_kid - September 22nd, 2002 at 10:21 PM

yes they are dont worry i didnt know either till i asked that same question to a bloke at a swap meet! just a bigger version i think
cheers
rhys

70AutoStik - September 23rd, 2002 at 01:41 AM

Actually, original Solex carbs haven't been made in (I think) about 17 years. Kadron carbs are the Brazilian made (under licence) version - the good news is they made larger ones. The largest original (VW) Solex carbs could only make about 80HP tops (by theoretical flow.)

Grey 57 - September 24th, 2002 at 07:03 PM

What type of Solex carb is sold as a kadron dual carb set. I have a set of T3 carbs and single port manifolds that I want to put on the oval. Are these the same. What do I need to do to the linkage setup to make it all work.

How much extra power will it create and it is it all worth it? :o

vwrallycar - September 24th, 2002 at 08:05 PM

the carbies in question here are single throat 40mm twin carbs. they are not standard vw carbs. as for the type 3 carbs i think they are 32 or 34mm single throat. i think if set up properly they should give you some gain over the standard single carb. but if you can afford it i can certainly recommend the twin kadrons

Grey 57 - September 24th, 2002 at 08:10 PM

Will the Kadron linkage set up work on the T3 carbies?

70AutoStik - September 24th, 2002 at 08:38 PM

The type 3 carbs are 32mm at the butterfly - not sure why they're called 32/24. They give a little more HP due to improved flow and leaner mixture, also give a snappier response- if you've got 'em, throw 'em on in lieu of the stock single.

Grey 57 - September 24th, 2002 at 08:45 PM

Thanks for the info. Biggest prob for me is the linkage. All I have is the carbs & the short manifolds. Can't seem to work out in my mind how a standard T3 linkage would work. Iv'e seen the T3 set up, but in a T1 the generator stand looks like it would be in the way?
Cheers:)

70AutoStik - September 25th, 2002 at 09:54 PM

The Type 1 linkage works the same way, it's simply organised to be at a different height. You could probably use the kadron lingage, but it pretty expensive, or I saw a setup where a guy had put a "Y" into the cable and simply ran a direct pull - but I can't rememer how he balanced them.

Grey 57 - September 25th, 2002 at 09:59 PM

I was thinking about the cable idea myself. Would work but it must be easier to adapt T3 linkage. Think I'll buy one and start playing around with it.
Cheers