Board Logo

Rebody a standard wheel base beetle?
strange_one - September 18th, 2012 at 09:55 PM

just bouncing an idea here, id like to build a two seater buggy in "Sand Rail" style, but as a road car, and if possible, run it on LPG, body would be alloy tube and folded alloy plate, bolted to a standard floor-pan/suspension, my idea is to keep weight and running costs down and still have a reasonably strong vehicle resistant to stone and hail damage?

under the current laws (Queensland), is this possible if i don't alter the wheelbase and maintain as much of the standard vehicle as possible, only major changes will be Fuel, Body shape and seating moved back and reduced to 2 places..

is this a "forget it and don't waste your time and money idea" or is it a reasonably straight forward body swap and LPG conversion?

shaihulud - September 21st, 2012 at 04:35 PM

I'm here in WA and I think that similar rules would apply.

I think that it would be a good idea to make sure that the tubing cage that you fit, complies with the ADRs, the requirements of the off road racing fraternity and also CAMS.

This would mean that it would be so strongly made that it would be difficult to have it refused at rego.

Make sure that you apply for a permit to build it in principal, but make sure that you stress that EVERYTHING mechanical will be absolutely stock standard.

If you tell them that you are going to modify even the tiniest little thing then it is alm0st certain that they will classify it as a ICV.

Do it first and then fit the hot motor and all the other non-standard stuff later.

You might be classified as a "re-bodied vehicle" and you will need a special chassis number that they will give you just before it is registered.

The English Ariel Atom is, I believe, having trouble being registered here in Oz. It could have something to do with the lack of a body. It may be helpful to follow that up.

I've wanted to do this for a while, so I'll follow your progress with interest.

strange_one - September 21st, 2012 at 07:19 PM

Thankyou, still in the ideas stage, just testing the water, wont be too sporty as such, have a few good reasons for going this way with the idea too.

Im dealing with an Engineer about my other project at the moment, so ill ask him the awkward questions about local regs too!

will start a build thread once i have a clearer idea where im going with this one..

vwo60 - November 1st, 2013 at 11:18 PM

As you said, the engineer is the person who will accept the responsibility for the build, plenty of cars that are legally built on a standard length vw pan without the problems of a ICV.

matberry - November 2nd, 2013 at 07:37 AM

Yep, a mate had a country buggy with a modified/hand-made body. Once approached as a rebodied vehicle he got it passed easily (in Qld too).

68AutoBug - June 9th, 2017 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by strange_one
just bouncing an idea here, id like to build a two seater buggy in "Sand Rail" style, but as a road car, and if possible, run it on LPG, body would be alloy tube and folded alloy plate, bolted to a standard floor-pan/suspension, my idea is to keep weight and running costs down and still have a reasonably strong vehicle resistant to stone and hail damage?

under the current laws (Queensland), is this possible if i don't alter the wheelbase and maintain as much of the standard vehicle as possible, only major changes will be Fuel, Body shape and seating moved back and reduced to 2 places..

is this a "forget it and don't waste your time and money idea" or is it a reasonably straight forward body swap and LPG conversion?

If You can find an engineer who likes the idea will be 2/3rds of the battle I should think....

LEE