Board Logo

Vee Dubbs in Movies
jenz58 - October 9th, 2002 at 12:13 AM

http://vwfilms.net/index.html

This site seems to have lots of on screen VW sightings and more

It's the best one I've seen so far. You may already know it? Enjoy it if you haven't :)

mnsKmobi - October 10th, 2002 at 09:01 AM

Great site. I would suspect it wouldn't be too hard to find VWs in movies from the 1960's and 70's with street scenes!:cool:

jenz58 - October 10th, 2002 at 10:59 AM

Exactly :)

Can't remember Did they have 'Easy Rider' listed, surely it would have a few VW's in it :D

'Woodstock' - the doco/film on the music festival - must be thousands in that :o

The Beetles movies, possibility/likelihood

I'll have to check the video shop to see if they have them in :thumb

Haven't seen any of these films in years and we probably didn't think twice about seeing a Vee Dubb in a scene :o

Saw a crazy Dutch movie a couple of years ago on SBS were a family go on holiday in a beetle, can't remember it's name :( It was very funny :D

Grey 57 - October 12th, 2002 at 02:27 PM

Dont forget Sleeper. (woody allen). Your VW will still start after standing in a cave for 1000 years!!!!:o

jenz58 - October 12th, 2002 at 09:47 PM

How could I forget 'Sleeper' (getting old) it was one of my favourite movies? Haven't watched it in years. My kids used to love it too

Used to love Woody Alllens early movies, he kind of bores me now though

The guy who sold me the Type 3 said that 'Dogs in Space' has Vee Dubbs (I haven't seen it)

[Edited on 12-10-2002 by jenz58]

242 - October 19th, 2002 at 01:02 AM

"Dogs in space" has many scenes with beetles and even type 3s. Worth watching for beetle crash scene and the one liner that comes with it.

Grey 57 - October 19th, 2002 at 09:42 AM

Theres an old French B&W movie called Traffic thats full of old VW's. Even has one rolling over and spinning on its roof for about 3 mins.

jenz58 - October 19th, 2002 at 11:00 AM

Hired 'Sleeper' Lots of one liners still relevant today :)

Poor beetle got dropped over a cliff and onto it's roof:(

Have to try to buy a copy, worth keeping, it's a classic :thumb

Damn they only had 'Woodstock' on DVD. I'll have to get with the times one day;)

Grey 57 - October 19th, 2002 at 06:28 PM

You know I have never seen that movie. Only heard about the VW bit. Think its about time I went and hired it from the video store. Maybe tonight :thumb

jenz58 - October 20th, 2002 at 12:12 AM

Caught this show for the first time tonight (Saturday) Alice (Dawn French) drives a '60 orange beetle

The show ends next week

It was kind of funny but I think you needed to see the earlier shows to understand it all

geodon - October 22nd, 2002 at 07:14 PM

The '69 movie Castle Keep wasn't much of an offering. It was a WW2 movie set around an old castle. One of the GI's literally falls in love with a split beetle & to end the affair the major orders it driven into the moat but it doesn't sink so they have to shoot it below the waterline!
What a friggin waste!

Grey 57 - October 23rd, 2002 at 11:42 AM

I saw that movie too. Bloody murder :(

jenz58 - November 18th, 2002 at 09:34 AM

Video store got me in a copy of Woody Allens 'Sleeper' to buy. Just heard from them :bounce

jenz58 - November 20th, 2002 at 09:16 PM

Went in to pick up my video and they had got 'Sleepers' with Robert de Niro in for me. Damn what a disappointment:cry

Grey 57 - November 20th, 2002 at 09:36 PM

Oh s**t the wrong one. Looks like the video nite at your place is off then.

jenz58 - November 20th, 2002 at 09:43 PM

Yep, looks like it :(

geodon - December 10th, 2002 at 12:22 PM

Just bought a pair of my favorite Steve Mcqueen movies. "Bullit" is a ripper- this set the standard for car chases ( along with "Fench Connection";) for decades to come. It's a pite the bad guys T-bone a split bus!
"The Thomas Crown Affair" was a pleasant enough offering although my 13 yo daughter kept rolling on the floor laughing at Faye Dunaway's wardrobe! But the highlight for VW addicts is the footage of Steve McQueen fanging his Beach Buggy ove the dunes!. That's not a VW motor though. Wait till he stops & the camera zooms in from the rear- Corvair???

By the way, this is the ORIG version of the movie, not the re-make.

Pat - December 10th, 2002 at 01:00 PM

I love Bullit, one of my favourite films.

Has anyone seen the ABC specials on Hitlers' Women? The one about Mrs Goebbels had footage of her driving an old bug.

Grey 57 - December 10th, 2002 at 06:12 PM

One for New Beetles is a movie called "The Mexican" with Brad Pitt. Few walk ons by air cooled ones too.

jenz58 - December 10th, 2002 at 08:16 PM

We could almost start up our own VW Movie site. You guys are coming up with so many more than on the website I posted:)

68AutoBug - December 19th, 2002 at 03:00 AM

Saw this tonight. and when She went back to germany from the USA a few times after the war.... there were many beetles parked at 45 degrees - I was trying to make out what was on the engine lid of one.... but I presume it was something to carry suitcases or skis on....
I always wish I had a tape in the video & the control in MY hand when You see things like that....
There are many beetles in all the old TV series on Pay TV - they were everywhere, and if You can see something in Mexico or Brazil.... You'll go crazy.... VWs everywhere... TAXI anyone??

Grey 57 - December 19th, 2002 at 10:41 PM

Marlene Deitrich wasn't one of Hitlers women was she????

Pat , love that movie Bullit too. But all time fav car movie for me would be the original Vanishing Point. Not the slack arse remake of the 90's, the original!!!

Dean :beer:beer:beer:beer:beer need to go sleep now.

tracash242 - December 30th, 2002 at 03:25 PM

how about .the crack, the one with jim owen and the orange splitie that blows up ,, aussie movie

tasdex - June 7th, 2012 at 01:32 AM

Anyone else seen the " odd but funny " ozzy movie..
Welcome to woop woop. .
Has a low light camper that ends up being decapitated. .

surreyp - June 17th, 2012 at 02:00 AM

A Scanner Darkly; There is a light blue Ghia in the drive of the druggies house, not on screen for long but if youre a ghia fanatic you'll see it. Sadly they don't drive it in the movie.
Ron Burgundy; near the part where the biker kicks his dog off the bridge, a cream Ghia. heaps of 60's and 70's cars in this one.
Bottle shock; the heroine drives into the movie in a beatup beetle with a flat tyre.
I am just seeing these cars everywhere now its a bit worrying.

68AutoBug - June 17th, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey 57
Marlene Deitrich wasn't one of Hitlers women was she????

Pat , love that movie Bullit too. But all time fav car movie for me would be the original Vanishing Point. Not the slack arse remake of the 90's, the original!!!

Dean :beer:beer:beer:beer:beer need to go sleep now.

I don't think Marlene Deitrich was one of Hitlers women...

just a famous German Singer/actress...

Saw bullitt again recently... they were supposedly driving very fast at times but when driving past a light blue beetle it took them a long time to pass it.. lol
heaps of ghias and beetles everywhere....
they were VERY popular in the USA...

"Now Will I buy the 8 foot long beetle with 60hp or the 24 foot long chevrolet Impala with 230hp...?? would have been a hard question to answer... lol :lol: "

LEE

gerggl - July 17th, 2012 at 06:03 PM

50 First Dates ....good place for a look at a Thing .... laso Herbie goes Bananas ...classic!

lou0060 - August 11th, 2012 at 06:43 PM

can't remember the name of the movie but it was tracing the Beetles early career when they went to Germany in the early 60's I guess and they had a 54 cabrio. It appears right thru the movie and looked in pretty good nick.

1303Steve - August 11th, 2012 at 06:54 PM

Hi

yellow super in TV show Once upon a time.

Did anybody see Aloha Bobby & Rose, crashed an early cab and there was an early cab in American Graffiti, both had Paul Lamatt in them who I met at Motor X but I didn't pay for an autographed photo.

Steve

gerggl - August 30th, 2012 at 04:30 PM

I am so haapy - sick of people asking me about the Thing and I have to say "have you watched 50 First Dates?" .... plenty of good movies to quote now - thanks! :no: