Board Logo

MK1 Golf - The Red Rocket
Carl and Emily - September 1st, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Soo,.. because I'm an idiot.:crazy:

Emily and I left Brisbane 5am one morning a few weeks ago to go get this 1980 Golf the day before it was going to the wreckers and most likely squashed.

In my mind was the mid 60's bug that was left at the gate of the local wreckers with Rossi headlights and other usable bits that didn't even get picked over. Apparently it went straight to the crusher.:(
Just seems such a waste.

The other reasons,.. Firstly,.. as above I'm an idiot. Secondly,.. I had a $500- special just like this but in silver when I lived in the US of A, it even had the same crappy aftermarket sunroof., drove it everywhere, it was a fun car. Thirdly, Emily likes Red.:crazy: and Fourthly,..on the chance it was better than in the photo's. The answer to that in short is Yes and No.

Yes,.. it could be back on road without to much work if a ratty looking car is your thing, and no,.. because if you wanted it to last it needs a full restoration,.. and is this something you would spend all that money on. Well,.. probably not for us.

We have no plans for this car,.. for now it will go in the shed. and complete our collection of a car from every decade since the 1940's.:smilegrin:
NO more!!!!:lol: the shed really is full!!
If I ever find my old notch I will have to sell something.:blush:

Our priority is to finish our 68 Bug which will be our daily,.. and then finish our preservation programme on our 62.

Having said that if you have some parts lying around that could fix this thing then please contact me. I'll list items required further down.

The damage to the front happened to it whilst it was parked here in the orchard, a tractor drove past and clipped the front corner tearing the guard sideways. Damage to the support frame is minimal. The real trouble is a previous poor repair to this front drivers door pillar from a previous accident sometime in it's past. The bottom door hinge is cracked,.. and nothing was painted before the guard was replace causing all the surface rust. Also all the bolts were not put back in the guard allowing water to enter the drivers footwell causing more surface rust.

The other bad area is beside the windscreen on the passenger side. Why would it rust here? I have no idea.

It was indeed originally a diesel, but has been converted to a petrol motor with some degree of bush mechanic skills. However with 5 litres of petrol splashed in the tank, some leaky fuel lines patched it started right up. Quite amazing really as their must have been some very old fuel in tank because the stuff that it started on certainly doesn't smell like petrol,.. and also the carby was full of spiders. I dare say it needs everything cleaned out. However it's like it wants to live.

So parts I'd like to collect.

Drivers front guard.
Drivers side headlight.
Bonnet.
Single headlight grill.
A running diesel engine and box.
Original jack and tool kit.

and alternatively,..if this car tickles your fancy then contact me.
To pass it on to someone who could get some use out of it is not out of the question.

At the moment it owes us a touch over $300-

Carl 0417 763 605

Now I'd better go get the 62 out and wash it before Action Day next week otherwise my mechanic will be very upset with me.:lol:

Carl and Emily - September 1st, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Cleaned it out, ready for transport to the storage shed.

Again if your interested in this thing contact me.

It's located in Oxley Brisbane.

Carl and Emily - September 1st, 2013 at 01:00 PM

The two worst problem areas.

Rust showing through pillar on passenger side.

Drivers front guard support is actually not that bad, and could easily be pushed back to shape.

matberry - September 1st, 2013 at 05:06 PM

Oh Carl...... :) What did Emily say ??? lol

Actually looks pretty good, have you touched Mary yet?

Carl and Emily - September 1st, 2013 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by matberry
Oh Carl...... :) What did Emily say ??? lol

Actually looks pretty good, have you touched Mary yet?

She said,... "oh,.. pretty GTI Red" and then,.. "ew,.. nasty 80's rear louvre.":lol:

She collected a bag full of mandarins off the tree next to it,.. the best we've ever tasted. So guess we should take the value of those off what it cost us. :lol:

And I'd better clarify for anyone reading this that 'Mary' is what Emily has called our 62 bug,.. before they get the wrong idea.:blush: and,.. yes i've cleared the exit path for it from the shed for next Saturday when I'll wash it for the first time.:kiss:

and yes,.. it (the golf) cleaned up ok,.. it's not too bad if you look at it in a positive way. I've seen alot worse,.. it's a survivor.
It's a shame it's lost it's diesel power plant (originality) and or isn't a 2 door.,.. but then in reality it's probably in the most practical configuration right now. (quieter and quicker than a diesel, and four doors.)

It had crossed my mind to just get it up to roadworthy condition and pass it on, but I just don't think there would be any interest in it,.. and we really don't need another car.:lol:

Really we just saved it from imminent destruction to pass on one day.

Matt Ryan - September 2nd, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Too far away for me Carl,

Let me know if you ever decide to part it out.

Mine is a '79 Diesel named Karl, no. plate is KRL ***

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=101356

Since easter this year I have picked up quite a few spare bits off gumtree, injector pump, instrument cluster etc. I've seen diesel engines too. The stuff you need is out there.

Yours has lots of good bits on it. Door trims that haven't had speaker holes cut in them are as rare as. What's the dash like under that mat?

Regards,

Matt.

Carl and Emily - September 2nd, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Ryan
Too far away for me Carl,

Let me know if you ever decide to part it out.

Mine is a '79 Diesel named Karl, no. plate is KRL ***

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=101356

Since easter this year I have picked up quite a few spare bits off gumtree, injector pump, instrument cluster etc. I've seen diesel engines too. The stuff you need is out there.

Yours has lots of good bits on it. Door trims that haven't had speaker holes cut in them are as rare as. What's the dash like under that mat?

Regards,

Matt.

Hi Matt,

It's pretty funny that you also have a flash bug, same as our 62.

The dash is very cracked unfortunately.

and yes the door cards are one of things in it's favour for survival.

Too far!!!!,.. I'll get it serviced and you can drive it home.:lol:

Carl and Emily - March 6th, 2016 at 12:33 PM

SOLD and no longer ours.

Has now moved on to a new owner.

All the best with it Andrew.