Board Logo

Dasresto #2 - Get yourself a bargain! ($9000 ono)
Dasdubber - March 29th, 2006 at 07:30 PM

Well, since I have almost run out of things to do on the ragtop resto (well not really - still have lots to do including changing the cooling system - will update that thread when it progresses).....its time to get stuck into the next project.

This will be for sale once completed, so any potential buyers can follow along to ensure no corners were cut! This will not be done to the extent of the previous beetle (that took 2 1/2 years) as not too many people will shell out $30K to buy a beetle (mind you if someone offerred me that much for mine I'd probably part with it so I can get stuck into my splitty) ;)

Anyway, enough rambling, no major mods planned, but should be a nice resto'd bug once done.

Price has been reduced to $9000ono

Feel free to make an offer - see the thread in buying/selling cars section if required.
Cheers
Alan

[ Edited on 18-11-2006 by Dasdubber ]

oval TOFU - March 29th, 2006 at 07:34 PM

looking forward to it Al! *rubs hands with glee.....*

Dasdubber - March 29th, 2006 at 07:35 PM

Thanks to Lex - bought the body off him (its pan ended up being used for my ragtop) - it is a 1970 1500 beetle that had been fully resprayed quite some time back....but his resto had never been completed (a 21 window bus just happenned to get in the way!). There are some areas which will require attention on the paint....and maybe a few custom touches - time will tell!

There is a brand spankin new black vinyl headliner already in along with tinted windows and new rubbers.

Dasdubber - March 29th, 2006 at 07:36 PM

The pan was originally under a 1966 beetle brought in from the UK (hence the body was cactus) - its front seats reside in my ragtop (see unique latches not common on Aussie bugs)....ball joint front and swingaxle rear.

Nice and tatty for now - drivers side pan half will be replaced, but passengers is mint (despite surface crap!). Stripping will start soon! Over and out for now.

Volkswagenboy - March 29th, 2006 at 07:43 PM

Nice!
-Staggers.

PrettyBlueBug - March 29th, 2006 at 07:44 PM

Awesome! :P '70 Bugs are the best.... ;)

Looking forward to following this as it's updated, instead of reading through 40+ pages of posts all in one go.... :lol:

Liam_81 - March 29th, 2006 at 08:14 PM

oh wow...

can you please point me in the right direction of your other buildup?

Dasdubber - March 29th, 2006 at 08:19 PM

Unless you want to sift through 50 odd pages on here (which is okay if you like) - you can go to this site which has all the pics:

http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album95 

buzzbug - March 29th, 2006 at 08:20 PM

Its good to see you onto another project.
Loved the last one and can't wait to follow this one through to completion.

Lee.

Craig Torrens - March 29th, 2006 at 08:41 PM

balljoint and wide 5...............cool.

Liam_81 - March 29th, 2006 at 08:48 PM

Man, loved the pics of your last build up... that army green colour is hot too! is that a bmw colour?

Dasdubber - March 29th, 2006 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Torrens
balljoint and wide 5...............cool.

Good spottin' :)

Liam - custom mix colour - worked with paintshop until I got something that worked. :thumb

BenettonVW - March 29th, 2006 at 09:14 PM

Gee's.. the other Beetles motor is still cooling and you are belting into more punishm.. I mean.. adventures... ;)

Nice one Al. Watching eagerly as always.

h - March 29th, 2006 at 09:53 PM

cool a rebirth in the making.. sweet

squizy - March 29th, 2006 at 10:00 PM

The queue starts behind me. Looking forward to the outcome Al.

ruckus - March 29th, 2006 at 10:00 PM

Man I'm so pumped to see what you do with this Alan!

Anthiron - March 29th, 2006 at 10:07 PM

u just know this is going to be awesome.

you set the benchmark for DIY restos man.

malcolm - March 30th, 2006 at 10:45 PM

great that you haven,t lost the earge to start another project.Question about your last project how much did you lower the rear end and what ground clearnce do you have with the exhaust pipes . I,m channeling a complete 944 rear end 60mm higher anb Iworked out that should give me @ 100to 120mm clearance .Doing this so I can comply with the porsche rear track anb tyre sizes enginnearing is getting harder in vic especally with a long term project.

Dasdubber - March 31st, 2006 at 07:26 AM

Cheers guys.

Malcolm, I'll have to measure ground clearance for you but I would say it is just over 100mm (from memory) - I changed the height of the rear end so many times that I have no idea of the overall amount it is lowered from stock!

ang3lsholocaust - April 3rd, 2006 at 06:51 PM

:starhit:wow looks extremely nice dasdubber...cant wait until its finish..:yes:

empi - April 3rd, 2006 at 08:08 PM

Are there Semaphores cut into the front quarter panels....??? interesting mod

Dasdubber - April 3rd, 2006 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by empi
Are there Semaphores cut into the front quarter panels....??? interesting mod

Yep, sure are - interesting indeed ;)

Managed to strip most of the pan - looks nice and crusty eh? Time (along with work and money) will change that. :P

Volkswagenboy - April 3rd, 2006 at 09:00 PM

Geez, I didn't see that at first!
-Staggers.

Dasdubber - April 9th, 2006 at 04:19 PM

Well yesterday I managed to remove the drivers side floor pan half which will be replaced. I used an angle grinder and air powered chisel to remove most of the pan first (cut an inch away from tunnel)....then the chisel to pop out all the spot welds.

[ Edited on 9-4-2006 by Dasdubber ]

Dasdubber - April 9th, 2006 at 04:21 PM

Under the fram head there was a few spots of rust so I cut out patches to ensure all rusty metal was replaced. Before rewelding the inside was rust converted then por15 paint applied to protect it for the future owner!

Dasdubber - April 9th, 2006 at 04:24 PM

Also a bit of rust here which needed replacing on both sides...

Hopefully next weekend will have the new pan half welded in and welds ground back. By the way, the raised section in the pic was channelled to make it smooth rather than having the big step seen in the pic below.

More pics to come - also will hope to have rust bullet applied to pan by end of easter weekend!

Volkswagenboy - April 9th, 2006 at 04:24 PM

It's looking great Alan (I know because I saw it yesterday!)
How'd ya go with the channel part on the underside?
-Staggers.

Dasdubber - April 9th, 2006 at 06:04 PM

All good thanks Staggers -welding was all complete and went to plan. Cheers for dropping around the beers!

Volkswagenboy - April 9th, 2006 at 06:09 PM

No problems. (Although I was tempted to buy two cartons and have the other when I was at the beach!)
-Staggers.

Dasdubber - April 11th, 2006 at 06:06 PM

A little more progress this arvo - finished tidying up the remaining spot welds remaining from original pan...picked up new pan half (using late model seat rails as I have late model seats to go in) - by the way if anyone has a junk pan that could donate the late seat rails for the other side, that would be great!

New pan half is just tacked in place for now - hopefully over the weekend the welds will be finished, and maybe the pan will be painted (see how time permits).