Board Logo

54 Oval street/strip project - 2442 progress (updated May30)
Dasdubber - January 14th, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Stage 1 of this project will be to get the oval back on the road and registered.

Initially I wanted to get it going in stock form, but despite having the rear drums skimmed and new shoes, and a clean up of the fronts...there was no pressure still after bleeding. M/c was probably shot so I decided to replace it with a dual circuit unit (Type III in this instance).

Before you worry, I am not going to wreck the old oval - I love it and will restore/modify it how I see fit. For those people think "why not turn a later, less rare beetle into a street/strip project?".....well, because:
- this is the car I have and this is the one I want to keep
- the oval provides a super solid base which will save a lot of work in the long run if I started with a crappy base
- I'm inspired by the DRKC cars in the US and want to build something similar (eventually).

Sorry to be defensive, but it gets to me when people have a go at others for what they do with their cars - if you don't agree, feel free not to look at this thread....however in the mean time I just want to get it on the road.

So, back to the project - new master cylinder and dual reservoir to go in along with a 2in narrowed beam which I pick up next week. I was going to keep it looking stock for a while but since I had to start work on the m/c etc I figured I may as well start the "upgrades".

[ Edited on 2-10-2007 by Dasdubber ]

Dasdubber - January 14th, 2007 at 10:38 PM

So the old beam is out, gave the pan a quick coat of paint to keep any rust at bay. The dual circuit reservoir will take the place of the old single unit.

Remember I am not too worried about making this car pretty like the ragtop was (at this stage). I just want to make it 'go' first then worry about the 'show' later.

Cheers,
Alan

byronbus - January 14th, 2007 at 11:03 PM

Looking good alan, looking forward to a drive in the old girl...should go a bit quicker than the last time i drove it...not to mention stop, gotta wonder about the last pink slip, brakes past fine...

Proud_Dad - January 15th, 2007 at 01:54 AM

Ooo Another Dasdubber project. I'm looking forward to this mate. Good luck with it!

Spellbound - January 15th, 2007 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Proud_Dad
Ooo Another Dasdubber project. I'm looking forward to this mate. Good luck with it!

I agree...I need inspiration. :thumb

Dasdubber - January 15th, 2007 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by byronbus
Looking good alan, looking forward to a drive in the old girl...should go a bit quicker than the last time i drove it...not to mention stop, gotta wonder about the last pink slip, brakes past fine...

I'll be keeping the massive 36hp donk in there for a while so it will be a slow cruiser until I can save some money for the engine and gearbox upgrade later this year!

In the mean time I just want to make sure it stops okay :)

dangerous - January 15th, 2007 at 08:20 AM

Bring it on Alan!

kroozzn63 - January 15th, 2007 at 09:04 AM

das where did you get the beam from?? im doing a 63 and want to go down a similar path to this baby , is there a particular part number for that typ3 dual circiut master cyc thingy so i can get one , r u doing wide five front ,rear wat brake setup u getting for the front ? where from?

Turbo54 - January 15th, 2007 at 09:36 AM

Dont do it Alan, save the old girl from the grinder... leave her as she is and restore her to stock. You dont see many of these around anymore blah blah blah. Looking forward to this mate and remember if you have any questions on parts etc. let me know. I have also worked out how to brace the rear end but I am on dial up for a bit so i will sedn through pics when I can.
;) Turbo54

Dasdubber - January 15th, 2007 at 09:58 AM

Cheers for the encouragement guys :thumb

With regards to the front beam - I ended up ordering one from Custom Offroad in Brissy. They narrowed the beam 2inches, added adjusters, modifed the shock towers with flat plates on the inner side to avoid body rubbing, narrowed the tie rods and spring packs/leaf springs (whatever they're called).

The rear brakes will be upgraded to wide 5 type III drums and backing plates when "stage 2" of the project starts. I intend to use the Vintage Vee Dub front wide 5 discs which I have my name down in line for (hopefully they will be ready soon). They do not increase the track, and supposedly are engineered already (will have to go through a QLD engineer too though but the ground work will make it easier for me to get them approved).

I'll have a look at the master cylinder part number at home - a type I would have worked but the increased bore of the type III (within reason - you don't want to go too big) will help. I'll report on pedal travel and subjective braking force required once it is all up and running.

Cheers Heath (re. drawings of rear end bracing) - I'm always interested to see what other ideas people have!

Thanks
Alan

66deluxe - January 15th, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Go for it Alan and knowing you you will probably have it done before me. But mine will be ready for the warwick drag meet. Cheers Damo.

VWMA Editor - January 15th, 2007 at 02:12 PM

The VVDS front disc brake kits have just been finished. I spoke with Michael today and I'll have my kit at the end of the month. Looking forward to bolting them on.

VWMA Editor - January 15th, 2007 at 02:14 PM

Picture of the VVDS wide 5 disc brake kits for King and Link.

kroozzn63 - January 15th, 2007 at 05:19 PM

how much is a kit like that?

bond - January 15th, 2007 at 05:44 PM

yeah true - i wouldnt mind one of those kits too... ta

nick

Dasdubber - January 15th, 2007 at 06:36 PM

Sweet - hopefully mine aren't too far away then!

You'll have to double check with VVDS but just under $1K from memory for the kit.

After incurring the cost of bringing in CB discs for the ragtop (front and rear), by the time you add in shipping and duty it cost me around the same (for front and same for back).

vwtyp2 - January 15th, 2007 at 09:04 PM

how much extra width does that disc brake kit add?

good luck with the beetle btw.
sounds like the path I'm slowly headed down with my '54

Dasdubber - January 15th, 2007 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vwtyp2
how much extra width does that disc brake kit add?
\

supposedly zero change in track (width) which is attractive as all other kits to date pretty much add at least 1inch and up to 2inches total.

5PL1TDCS10N - January 15th, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Oooo this is going to be a scorching thread! All the best Alan...no doubt it will turn out awesome!**grabs popcorn, large spiked coke and watches eagerly.

W:)

whatnow - January 16th, 2007 at 11:18 PM

any idea what the VVDS wide5 kit weighs compaired to stock drums?

i was thinking about dual circuit mastercyls in early cars and was toying with the idea of opening up a orig metal header tank, adding a 3/4 depth divider in and two tubes out of the bottom. (i never got to the point of sticking my head under a car to check if the 2 outlets would fit though). just a thought.

henry.

btw looking foward to following this one.

[ Edited on 17-1-2007 by whatnow ]

vw54 - January 17th, 2007 at 06:02 AM

there about 10mm narrower

57oval - January 17th, 2007 at 07:29 PM

is that 10mm overall or each side?

beerdoc - January 17th, 2007 at 09:41 PM

Well ok al .I will settle to watch an oval resto :PBUT

I really want too see the the D/Door get started:thumb

Cheers mate and I am sure you wont let us down

:beer

Dasdubber - January 17th, 2007 at 09:59 PM

Don't worry splitty fans - I haven't forgotten the resto of the double door.

If business was a little better I'd have a carport and have started on the panel.....but for now it will have to wait patiently :)

It's funny you have a new perspective of cash flow when you own a business - you start to realise very quickly all the non-essential items you buy in your life!

Don't feel bad though, hopefully in a few months all will be sweet!

ren - January 17th, 2007 at 09:59 PM

Great another members ride novel from Dasdubber, which will keep me entertained while I'm overseas, feeling home-dub-sick! Lovely car Das.

sinecure - January 18th, 2007 at 12:13 AM

Looking forward to following this one, and congrats on the cover/story in VWMA, really did justice to all your efforts.

demon - January 21st, 2007 at 03:10 PM

About time you started on the oval.Looking forward to another excellent result/tuff beetle!
Cheers
Damo

Dasdubber - January 21st, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Hey Damo - yeah took a little time but funds are tight! Looking forward to getting it rego'd soon but there is a slight hiccup with the narrowed beam that may mean it will miss dubs to the pub (away camping next weekend so time is running out).

063bug - January 22nd, 2007 at 02:39 PM

.... as always another professional project is about to put us all to shame again.... go Das... as always, only a phone call away and about 80kms :smirk:

Dasdubber - January 22nd, 2007 at 03:25 PM

Cheers Alan :blush

PS No need to worry - this oval will remain an ugly duckling for quite some time (at least until I complete the performance upgrades)