Board Logo

Generator Pulley Help - Sydney
brent - October 1st, 2006 at 02:06 PM

Hello peoples, I'm trying to put an engine into my beetle, however it came out of a semiauto so I need to change oil pumps, I can't seem to get the generator pulleys off of the two engines, is anyone able to help with the correct tools?

I'm in Dundas,

cheers

brent

karmen - October 1st, 2006 at 07:04 PM

u just need a good shifter or ring spanner (orig is tub spanner for there and spark plugs) - for the nut
then there is a slot or 2 in the pulley where at 12 0'clock u insert a strong say 10 inch or longer screwdriver to lock the pulley

but of crc or lubricant helps a lot (on the thread)

brent - October 1st, 2006 at 08:06 PM

Hi Guys, whoops :) didn't explain myself all that well, the pulley I want to remove is the one on the end of the crankshaft, I have successfully got them undone, the pulleys just wont come of the end of the crank :(

68AutoBug - October 1st, 2006 at 08:29 PM

Hi Brent,
I thought that was the one You wanted to take off so You can take off the Autostick dual oil ATF Pump...

You need a pulley puller of some sort...

I've had a few different pulleys on Mine and they are used to coming on & off...:P:P

I can't remember taking the original pulley off, and what i did with it...

I think the VW pulley has a couple of cut outs to place a pulley pulley of some kind...

I think the VW one either fitted into the two cut outs or held either side in the groove
and had a bolt in the centre..
and when the bolt was wound on, it pushed the pulley off...

Someone may be able to lend You a tool to take it off...

cheers

Lee -- 68AutoBug --

68AutoBug - October 1st, 2006 at 08:52 PM

Hi again,
You may be able to lever the pulley off with a tyre lever or similar using one either side and gently rocking it off..

depends on how tight it is...

cheers

Lee -- 68Autobug

[ Edited on 1-10-2006 by 68AutoBug ]

ctefeh - October 2nd, 2006 at 01:00 PM

What you want is something like this attached pic.

Even though it looks like it'll rip it off, be careful. I whipped this on, did it up until there was tension and used two pry bars behind the pulley (against the two screws that hold the pulley tinware on) to wiggle a little, re-tension, wiggle etc etc etc....

Mine was a real S.O.B to get off. I went round the crank snout with a small needle file and removed any burrs etc so putting it back on (and off again!) wouldn't be so painfull, but it was still on tight!

Enjoy
Ctefeh

[ Edited on 2/10/2006 by ctefeh ]

1303Steve - October 3rd, 2006 at 12:33 AM

Hi

You need to careful as the pulleys will bend easily. You can just leave the pump in if its too much of a hassle

Steve