Board Logo

floor pan help
emsipops_digs_dubs - March 9th, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Hello guys, does anyone have any advice on how to fix some small rust holes in my beetle floor? I have been told u can just weld them up. I have no idea how to do this, is it hard? Never welded before but Im willing to give it a go. Is it possible to do at home without a hoist?? Any advice at all would be very appreciated, thanks guys, Emma.

bevoracing - March 15th, 2009 at 02:28 PM

Hi Emma
Someone has to say it, sorry.
Welding up rust holes in floor pans is hard, even for people who can weld. You need more than just the basic arc welder because the steel is so thin. You can use Oxy, MIG, TIG or bronze welding but all have their tricks ans specific equipment. You would never take on something like a rusty floor pan for your first go. Find someone who CAN do it. You could help by removing the flamable material from the area, floor coverings, seats etc, clean & brush the area as much as you can, that sort of thing. Another certainty, rust holes are ALWAYS bigger than they look.
Cheers
Tony

emsipops_digs_dubs - March 22nd, 2009 at 01:14 AM

sigh................. thanks tony

bajachris88 - March 22nd, 2009 at 02:45 PM

If u can get ur hands on a Mig... than no worries!

Just turn down the Amps, giving it a quick zap with a bit of molten metal, let it cool a sec, and do it again (so to not burn a bigger whole).

And if you do a mistake, just grind it off with an angle grinder.
Benefit of giving it a go as a first timer on the floor is that it will be unseen. Hidden under carpet and wat not.

Baz1313 - December 12th, 2012 at 04:43 PM

Hi Emma what years your vw I have a mint condition floor pan and chassis for a 65 beetle thx call baz 0417629025

LUFTMEISTER - December 12th, 2012 at 07:03 PM

Hey Baz look at the date of posting It was over 3 yrs ago.

Baz1313 - December 12th, 2012 at 07:59 PM

Sorry girl girl did not look new to the veedubbers thx baz will pay more attention