Board Logo

My daughter is a new Beetle owner!
meminiau - January 31st, 2016 at 08:02 PM

Hey everyone,

My 17 year old daughter bought her first Beetle today! I am helping her with it and I have never owned one before either.

She bought a 1969 semi auto convertable, with a 1600 motor. We had a few dramas driving it home as we stopped a couple times and when we tried to start it it wouldn't even turn over. I have mentioned this to my father in law and his big semi's that he drives also are semi auto, and he said that if they turn them off while still in gear they have problems, and as I don't remember if I put it in neutral first, then this could be the issue... fingers crossed!

I am sure you will see lots of questions from me very soon :-)

cheers
dean

Bizarre - January 31st, 2016 at 08:45 PM

G'day and welcome

karmann141 - February 1st, 2016 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by meminiau
Hey everyone,

...............and he said that if they turn them off while still in gear they have problems, and as I don't remember if I put it in neutral first, then this could be the issue... fingers crossed!

I am sure you will see lots of questions from me very soon :-)

cheers
dean

I think this is the early version of Volkswagen's attempt at stop/start fuel saving technology - very innovative at the time and they have just perfected it and very low emissions. :lol:

I'm sure someone here will be able to help

grumble - February 1st, 2016 at 07:56 PM

You will find the little semi autos a beautiful little car and a pleasure to drive,they will not start in gear and have a few peculiaraties such as the clutch wire falling off the solenoid but are basically trouble free. I hope your daughter enjoys the little car and if you have problems this is a great forum for assistance.