Board Logo

Sourcing new window glass in Australia?
mcberg - July 17th, 2013 at 01:20 PM

I'm planning to replace my rear and side window glass in my 74 super, after the previous owners botched attempt to tint them by applying reflective coating :mad: Equally the two door glasses are showing their many years of hardened scraper abuse

So I am therefore trying to source a local supplier of new german glass if possible.

Whilst I can always get second hand side glass, at the very least I'd like to have a heated rear screen for my daily ride. The heated rear screens are available in the Uk for about 100 quid plus lots of shipping cost.

Does anyone know a source in Australia for rear and/or side glass for a 71+ beetle?

Cheers

1303Steve - July 17th, 2013 at 02:00 PM

Hi

Rather than getting them cut by a glass place I bought mine from aircooled net, they were genuine VW but made in Mexico.

Steve

nils - July 17th, 2013 at 07:27 PM

I'm reasonably sure just kampers have the heated glass from the uk

cam070 - July 17th, 2013 at 07:37 PM

As above, JK have the heated rear screens on their site but don't appear to keep them in stock locally.

If you are interested I am planning to get some front windscreens made. If I can get a few people to commit it will become cost effective. They will of course be manufactured to Australian standards.

nbturbo - July 18th, 2013 at 06:20 AM

I have had all new side glass made for mine and my mate 57 oval's car with the tint already in the glass. I had it done at Chevron Glass. All glass is etched with the Australian Standard. They also did our front screens in laminated which also has a sticker attached for the Standards. I made 4mm MDF templates for them to work to. I had a spare made for each one just in case.

vlad01 - July 22nd, 2013 at 06:41 PM

you can get ones made? cool!