Board Logo

Cleaning minor rust off painted steel wheels?
SuperOwen - September 26th, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I'm getting some new tyres fitted to the 67 soon but I'd like to clean the wheels up a bit first. I don't want to blast and repaint them as it would look a bit out of place having glossy new wheels when the rest of the car is slightly scruffy original paint.

I was wondering about an acid was or something just to remove some of the rust staining etc. Will this strip the old paint? any other ideas out there? Thanks

65busser - September 26th, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Meguiar's Paint Cleaner will remove any surface rust that'll come off. It's like a cutter without the cut. It cleans the paint without removing any. You might lose some oxidised paint but that's a good thing. It's a great product for cleaning old paint before polishing. Give the treated area a quick polish after the cleaner.

SuperOwen - September 26th, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Cheers, Ill give it a shot. Is that a polish or a spray on and soak type cleaner

Craig Torrens - September 26th, 2013 at 11:48 AM

its a liquid cleaner (use with a rag), like a polish.

SuperOwen - September 26th, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Cool, I was going to try wash them with vinegar or something first to get to the rust in the crevices etc and then put in some elbow grease. I'm just paranoid about stripping the paint if I leave the stuff on long enough to really remove the rust marks.

HappyDaze - September 26th, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Deoxidine

grumble - September 26th, 2013 at 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyDaze
Deoxidine

Ferropro rust converter is an old trade product that works wonders.

wild baja - September 27th, 2013 at 12:12 PM

oxalic acid also known as laundry bleach . also the core ingredient in bunnings rust remover

SuperOwen - September 27th, 2013 at 08:36 PM

Thanks, I tried some CLR today as I had a bit in the cupboard and it worked ok for the stains, no paint damage :tu:

Special Air Service - October 6th, 2013 at 05:49 PM

was just about to say CLR when I was scrolling through this. works great for cleaning inner guards etc as well.