Board Logo

Chrome plating bumpers
viiking - May 27th, 2018 at 12:58 PM

I spoke to a guy at the Nationals today (Dave - nice bloke). He spoke about getting bumpers rechromed in Canberra or in Ingleburn.

I have some original but dented 68 beetle Europa style bumpers. Is it cost effective to get these repaired and rechromed or just give up and buy some WW repros?

Does anyone have some experience with getting these redone and costs? I guess if I can get them done for less than $800 it might be worth doing.

Bizarre - May 27th, 2018 at 02:54 PM

get them rechromed.
NO comparison.
NO repro is done properly. they WILL rust sooner or later

I paid about $350 per bumper, about 7 years ago, from a bloke that picked up and returned
Pretty sure they went to Albury

Ingleburn
http://www.allmetalbumpers.com.au/ 

Albury
https://alburyelectroplaters.com.au/restoration-and-repairs 

grumble - May 27th, 2018 at 08:01 PM

I had the ones for my Ghia rechromed at Hamilton Chrome a few ( about 10) years ago and am happy with the result, they do a lot of hot rod and motorcycle parts and the quality is excellent. They aren't cheap but then again the Ghia bars are 10 individual pieces.

1303Steve - May 28th, 2018 at 06:09 PM

Ive had a few done by All Metal bumpers and they sponsor the VW Nationals

Peter Notley 0438 765 097
Phil Richards 0438 765 098

Unit 1/17 Memorial Avenue Ingleburn

vw54 - May 29th, 2018 at 08:46 AM

All Metal will do the lot they send to Albury for Plating Do they need repairing

Albury is best for the plating bigger items like bars as they have the bigger plating tanks

Canberra only does the smaller items as they have smaller tanks and a great job as well I have had all of my Oval trinkets don't there

Cost wont be much change out of $1000.00 I have had mine done for my Oval

nbturbo - May 30th, 2018 at 02:27 PM

I bought stainless bumpers for my Oval project with over riders from a bloke in Vietnam-less than $700 delivered.Got some Lowlite Bus bumpers as well-just over $1000.Absolutely top quality.