Board Logo

Painting parts
beetle from hell - September 27th, 2006 at 08:28 PM

So im getting ready to do some painting once i get my painting equipment.
Question is whats the process for painting parts, drums, front beam etc? Do i undercoat and colour over?

Thanks
Ant

boof2332 - October 12th, 2006 at 09:03 PM

Hey mate..i would use chassis black for the beam...only need to undercoat if rubbing right back. Drums etc should use heatproof which is not usually undercoated.
Matt

helbus - October 12th, 2006 at 09:33 PM

There are as many ways to paint parts as there are days in the week. It has many variables from. Original condition, surface preparation, cost, quality, time, reliability, durability, preference, gut feeling and on and on. There are no rule books and many ways will work to varying degrees of sucess based on desired outcome.

Easiest and cheapest is to get spray cans and paint them over bare metal. Epoxy/ chassis black for the beam and brake drum/ rotor paint for the drum. Of course 100% sandblasted bare metal will give the best results, but that is another story.

I personally would get everything sandblasted and etch prime and paint with 2 pak. I have these facilities at work, so the cost is not an option, it is the best looking and one of the more durable finishes.

I dunno, do whatever you want.

beetle from hell - October 25th, 2006 at 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info.
I have my own spray gun and have been etch priming and 2K over. Its been coming out quite nice.

VWCOOL - October 25th, 2006 at 07:26 PM

Don't paint drums. Possibly electroplate them, but don't paint

helbus - October 25th, 2006 at 10:22 PM

Don't electroplate drums. Possibly paint them, but don't electroplate

VWCOOL - October 25th, 2006 at 11:19 PM

lol... Care to elaborate?

Paint burns off and causes wheel mounting/shimmy issues

[ Edited on 25-10-2006 by VWCOOL ]

helbus - October 25th, 2006 at 11:38 PM

lol .... Care to elaborate? back at ya :lol:

Yeah I suppose you could get wheel mounting issues if you put too much paint on the mounting surface, but what are we talking here? 5 microns? The back of the wheel is probably painted already!

Paint burns off?????? What paint are you talking about? House paint?