Board Logo

Hide indicator lights behind horn grilles?
Purple Martin - October 23rd, 2014 at 04:02 PM

Has anyone hidden indicator lights behind the front horn grilles? I'm thinking of doing this on my '59 beetle because other drivers can't always see the ones on the b-pillars (which I'll keep, of course). I'm not sure how to do it and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips.

p.s. The rear is even trickier, there's no-where to hide extra lights and I don't want to add Harley-style things.

HappyDaze - October 23rd, 2014 at 04:24 PM

For what it's worth, I tucked a couple of Narva truck LED indicators away in the headlights. At the rear, I attached them to the side of the tail-lights.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/happydaze8/Beetles/P1010620_zps9969335c.jpg

Purple Martin - October 23rd, 2014 at 04:56 PM

That might be an option if I can't work out how to hide them behind the grilles. Nice car!

grumble - October 23rd, 2014 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Purple Martin
Has anyone hidden indicator lights behind the front horn grilles? I'm thinking of doing this on my '59 beetle because other drivers can't always see the ones on the b-pillars (which I'll keep, of course). I'm not sure how to do it and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips.

p.s. The rear is even trickier, there's no-where to hide extra lights and I don't want to add Harley-style things.

Good plan hide them and then nobody will know what you are doing, at the rear put them in the engine bay and call yourself secret squirrel.:lol:

1303Steve - October 24th, 2014 at 06:57 AM

Hi

What about making the rear brake lights flash like early Holdens, FE or FC I think.

Steve

HappyDaze - October 24th, 2014 at 07:12 AM

Good idea, Steve....would that be legal ?

The FE had flashing brake lights [red], and clear reversing lights 'pointy' lens. The FC had flashing 'pointy' lights, with an orange lens.

nbturbo - October 24th, 2014 at 09:22 AM

Geezus that an awesome resto Greg.57 Oval on here has bought led rear lenses for his Oval rear lights that has the brake light flashing- legal here in South Aus.Greg,.Is the Cab still a 6volt car? Suspect it might be with the driving lights facing down like that-lighting the road to help the headlights out.

1303Steve - October 24th, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Hi

I think flashing rear brake lights would be legal as long as the car was reasonably stock, if the car has been engineered it would need ADR approved lighting.

On an early car its legal to use semaphores or no blinkers at all, but anything you can do is to make the car safer is good.

Steve