Board Logo

Legal custom wheels/offset
vduboy - February 11th, 2015 at 07:34 PM

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can steer me in the direction of someone who can supply/make wheels in Sydney (or thereabouts) in a VW 4x130 PCD but with the correct offsets as not to piss off the engineer?
Just got my 6 inch vw wheels back from the 'fabricator' after having the offsets corrected and they are wobbly as all crap! easy 10mm of runout, and they were straight when I sent them to him... :grind:
So trying to get them repaired but if they are stuffed then I will need another solution.
Any clues are much appreciated!

Bizarre - February 11th, 2015 at 08:06 PM

Have you tried Morton & May?

vduboy - February 11th, 2015 at 08:08 PM

I called them today but couldn't get there from Hornsby before they closed, will be seeing them if my frame/wheel guy from work cant do anything with them.
Cheers.

helbus - February 11th, 2015 at 09:46 PM

AJAX wheels in Moorabbin VIC are gurus, and have modified and supplied wheels forever. It could be worth calling them and freighting them to get the info and get the job done right.

http://ajaxwheels.com.au/ 

vlad01 - February 12th, 2015 at 11:33 PM

10mm runout? holy shit, really? that bad?

vduboy - February 13th, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vlad01
10mm runout? holy shit, really? that bad?

Yeah unfortunately, I may have exaggerated a mill or so but it is at least 5mm laterally on all of them. Measuring the backspace it differs between 124, 125,126 and 123 on the same wheel.

vlad01 - February 14th, 2015 at 09:43 PM

thats bad. i thought 0.1mm was bad but this.

bussboy - February 14th, 2015 at 10:09 PM

Just to fill in a gap in this, the wheel assoc standard is 70 thou runout (1.7mm), mercedes on the other hand is 1.0mm. Runout measurement needs to be done on a trueing stand not a balancer, have seen some great discrepincies over the years.

vlad01 - February 14th, 2015 at 10:52 PM

damn thats a lot for standards.

i've never seen any on alloy wheels of mine, fraction of a mm at the most on steel due to manufacturing limitation obviously certainly not close to a 1mm.

vduboy - February 15th, 2015 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bussboy
Just to fill in a gap in this, the wheel assoc standard is 70 thou runout (1.7mm), mercedes on the other hand is 1.0mm. Runout measurement needs to be done on a trueing stand not a balancer, have seen some great discrepincies over the years.

Yeah that was on a truing stand.. :sniffle:
I lace up and true the spoke motorbike wheels at work, mine never go out the door unless they have less than a 1mm, But even in the RTA/RMS data they have some ridiculous specs for runout/play in parts, like 6mm at the rim edge, if a bike has that much play there is about 20 seconds till the wheel bearings collapse!