Board Logo

Noobie Question about battery charging
jamesbond - April 2nd, 2015 at 10:55 PM

Hey Folks, I have a Noobie question about battery/Electrical issue I have with my 1600 VW. On the way home form my mechanic I put the headlights on as it was late afternoon, i noticed after about 30 mins the blinkers were a bit intermittent and the horn was 1/2 loud. When i got home (About a 40 Min drive) the car had no charge to start engine. The battery was flat. I had to jump start it, The battery was flat. I assume from having the headlights on???. battery is not charging - i assume? So to me (who knows nothing about 12 volt electrical system) there is a fault with the the thing that charges the battery. Regulator? Alternator? or something else????? Can you explain to me What i need fixing/servicing? I assume a visit to an Auto elec? Any advise appreciated. Central Coast NSW - Jr

helbus - April 2nd, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Depending on whether your Beetle has a generator or alternator, it will be easy for an Auto elec to fix, it just will vary the cost. It may be something simple like a loose connection. If it is a full reco, then it may cost a couple hundred. The Auto Elec should have the diagnostic equipment and experience to find the problem.

Perezoso - April 4th, 2015 at 04:20 PM

Where abouts on the coast? If near the entrance check out long jetty auto electrical on the main road in long jetty.