Board Logo

Michelin/vredestein/firestone classic tyres
karmann54 - May 3rd, 2015 at 08:45 PM

Hello
I'm doing a fairly Stock Resto on a '63 Ghia. Keeping standard height but using 5"x15" BRMs.

I'm looking at some of the vintage classic tyres available in the 165R15 size.

Michelin XZX, Vredestein Sprint Classics, Firestone.

Has anyone had any experience with them, good bad indifferent?

AA003 - May 5th, 2015 at 05:06 AM

Yes, but they weren't vintage at the time.

matberry - May 5th, 2015 at 09:28 AM

Burelli has Verdesteins on some cars, he imported them himself. They look great, not sure about any other details

modulus - May 5th, 2015 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by karmann54
...Has anyone had any experience with them, good bad indifferent?

Nope. But, because such tyres have a lower turnover rate, it will pay to check the Tyre Identification Number (TIN) to find out the manufacture date. I had some Michelin ZXs at one stage on a Triumph TR2, which looked to be in good order but were ancient and had as much grip as [...insert incredibly low grip metaphor here...] and were lethal in the wet, notwithstanding that in new condition these tyres were quite a good match with such vintage tin.

hth

Governor - May 5th, 2015 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by matberry
Burelli has Verdesteins on some cars, he imported them himself. They look great, not sure about any other details

Got mine from Antique Tyres

karmann54 - May 6th, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Thanks for the responses. I was probably going to get them from Antique Tyres, and would be making sure they are not new tyres that are 20 years old.

I guess what I'm checking is that one of these tyres will be more correct than a modern equivalent like Nankang (which doesn't quite have that Euro sound to it). But I still want the tyre to perform/ride well. I'd be prepared to take a small compromise there but not much - if they aren't much good I'd go with a modern tyre.

So its any experience with how they actually perform would be appreciated.

hulbyw - May 6th, 2015 at 09:03 PM

I have a 155R15 Vredestein as a spare that I bought from Antique, because I didn't wan't a really old tyre even as a spare. Before I bought it I heard good reports and it certainly looks good. So far it has stayed in the boot so unable to report on it's performance.
MGB's use 15" tyres so there may be some info on the MG forums
Cheers..........Wayne

karmann54 - May 7th, 2015 at 04:13 AM

Thanks for that angle, hadn't thought of that. I'll check out a few other forums,

vwo60 - May 7th, 2015 at 12:31 PM

I rented a vw beetle in Tassie for two weeks and it was fitted with Michelin XZX radials, this was quite a few years ago, It was a standard car and it handle very well, wet or dry, they are a very good tyre, just check the age.

beetleboyjeff - May 7th, 2015 at 09:56 PM

I used to run Michelin XZX's back in the day, and they were quite a good tyre.