Board Logo

re-drilling stud patterns
sgetty - October 2nd, 2003 at 09:55 PM

does anyone know if u can re-drill stud patterns on mag wheels. i have commodore wheels(5 x 116.4) and want redrill to kombi (5 x 112) can it be done is there someone that can do it? cheers:beer

vw54 - October 3rd, 2003 at 08:27 AM

Carnt see why not, but remove the tyres first so the rim can sit flat on the drill bed.

Make sure theres enough meat in the areas your going to redrill. Is the webbing on the back of the wheel hub enough to support the wheel and new locating hole.

I carnt see why any local machine shop can not drill for you unless they dont want to take a risk.

VWCOOL - October 3rd, 2003 at 09:08 AM

I think you'll find it's illegal.

sgetty - October 3rd, 2003 at 09:29 AM

cheers vw54, yeah im gunna find out of an rta chick see where its legal or not. :beer sgetty

vw54 - October 3rd, 2003 at 11:43 AM

Only Illegal until you get caught. As long as its safe there should be no problems.

Only thing you will have to blank up the old holes or do something to them to cover

VDUBXTC - October 3rd, 2003 at 11:44 AM

i got my wheels re drilled. i hit a pot hole not long after and the wheel fell apart. my insurance was voided because i had this done. so i had to cough up the money to repair the damage myself.

I DO NOT ADVISE YOU TO DO THIS.

just get ya drums or discs done to the commodore pattern

sgetty - October 7th, 2003 at 06:18 PM

mmmmmm maby not worth the trouble........is it an easy process getting your drums and discs to same pattern??

68AutoBug - October 8th, 2003 at 06:30 PM

Sgetty,
Its highly illegal to redrill brake drums and brake discs.. only one set of holes per item...
If You look behind a brake drum. You will find that its reinforced ONLY where the 4 holes go.... drill anywhere else and there is NOT enough metal...
You can buy New Mag wheels with 8 holes or more to fit different hubs... so if the commodore mag is nice and thick, I can't see what the problem would be...
If the alloy is thinner where You want to drill Your holes.... don't do it... You see all different thicknesses of alloy rims... some are Very thick and others very thin.... and these new Mags are running around with all the holes in plain view.... You cover Yours up with araldite epoxy etc...
Lee

Does anyone know anything We can do thats NOT illegal?????

sgetty - October 8th, 2003 at 07:49 PM

cheers 68autobug these wheels are old style commodore wheels plenty of alloy there.. ill see how i go

wacked1 - October 14th, 2003 at 10:56 AM

Spoke to neales wheels (spelling) in Sydney area and they said they can re-drill the discs and drums to suit any PCD you want, you can go for commodore stud pattern if you want. it also makes it the cheaper alternative when you want good looking rims for not a lot of mula, they will do the job for $65.00 each and will take a couple of days , you have to remove everything and take them bare.

:jesus

sgetty - October 14th, 2003 at 01:13 PM

oh cool, thanks heaps sounds like a good plan....:D

modulus - October 14th, 2003 at 01:26 PM

Hi sgetty,

Quote:
Originally posted by sgetty
oh cool, thanks heaps sounds like a good plan....:D

Umm, which part of "illegal" or "the wheel fell apart. my insurance was voided" is it that sounds like a good plan?

The fact that someone who owns a drill is willing to redrill your brakes doesn't make it a good plan, it just means there's a guy willing to take your money.

Rather than spending 4 X $65 = $260 (plus tear-down and reassemble time) on the highly dubious pleasure of getting 20 extra holes drilled in a high stress area of your suspension, you could sell your Commodore mags and bid on the Audi mags which are currently on auction at ebay and which have the correct PCD, which you yourself have posted.

Having your wheels detach from their mountings at high speed could ruin your whole day.

sgetty - October 14th, 2003 at 01:29 PM

mmmmm yes well that does sound narsty . i never thought of that... better plan. im not a smart man but can lift heavy stuff....

modulus - October 14th, 2003 at 01:32 PM

Actually I think those mags would look excellent on a kombi.

Good luck.

[Edited on 14-10-2003 by modulus]

sgetty - October 14th, 2003 at 01:34 PM

cheers:beer would have been better if i hadnt told everyone:vader its time to bid

wacked1 - October 14th, 2003 at 04:00 PM

I just spoke to mike of CBB in penrith. As I am looking at getting this job done. They seem to know what they are talking about when it comes to changing the stud pattern as they use this configuration on all of their buses e.g. 5L microbus, 5L stretch micro and 3.8L Ute, he said it is a completely safe and legal conversion, I tend to believe what this guy says. As for the voiding of insurance it was the fact that the guy had his wheels re-drilled.

Do your research, speak to the people in the know CBB an engineer and your insurance company.
Good luck and safe driving

amazer - November 3rd, 2003 at 08:34 PM

68Autobug hasnt tried to redrill a kombi hub because they are machined steel theres no strengthening ribs anywhere.

Are falcon stud patterens anywhere near commodore stud pattern ones? Cos a falcon PCD is easily stretched to fit kombi stud pattern. You drill them out large enough to fit an eccentric bush.

I doubt its legal but it will be completely safe. I ran my kombi with redrilled brakes at near 200kmh so yours should be fine.

sgetty - December 16th, 2003 at 12:03 PM

wow i thought this thread was dead, i sold the commodore rims and have these now but ill be selling these asswell as my stud pattern on my now, both kombis is wide 5 130pcd.

these are 5x114(same as ford)

wacked1 - December 16th, 2003 at 05:48 PM

U2U me the price on the rims?
:jesus
:tree

SKEWtYpe3 - December 16th, 2003 at 11:40 PM

amazer i think u are right, its easier to get falcon rims to fit, enlarge the whole a little and off centre of the orig. whole

11cab knows if u wish to ask

Lee - everything is illegal in your world :)