Board Logo

shortened sumps
kombi_kid - September 23rd, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Hey
Is sharpbuilt the only making shortened sumps in aussie now ?are they any good suit kombi ok with the engine mounts etc? Does anyone have a custom offroad shortened sump they can take some measurements on for me ?
Cheers
Rhys

OZ Towdster - September 23rd, 2015 at 12:39 PM

Rhys , Paul @ Steelart Creations / Down South Motor Sports is making the Custom offroad style sumps now and can be contacted on 0410 571 010

kombi_kid - September 23rd, 2015 at 08:23 PM

Thanks heaps andrew !

lou0060 - September 23rd, 2015 at 09:55 PM

I made my own, was a big job as I modified it extensively to take advantage that in our VW's the engine is going backwards as opposed to the way it sits in the Subi. As a result the design of the sump should be reversed to the original. Mine gets punished and has not had an oil light all year under pretty tough conditions. i also built a baffle plate similar to the ones the Subi performance guys use but again with the 'backwards' philosophy in mind.

Some pictures in my Tampico race car thread I think and happy to post more if required.

kombi_kid - September 24th, 2015 at 09:38 AM

Post pics away if you dont mind lou would love to see the design !

1303Steve - September 24th, 2015 at 09:08 PM

Hi

This is the one that Westy did for my car, I've had no oil light issues either.

Steve

1303Steve - September 24th, 2015 at 09:24 PM

This is how Brad worked it all out, cut the base of the sump off a few millimetres above your lowest point that you want, mine was the cross pipe and oil filter, the guillotine a flat base to fit around everything, make some some slots on the sides of the sump so that oil can flow into wings, then fold up the wings

kombi_kid - September 25th, 2015 at 09:18 AM

Whats the go with modifying the pickup ? Do you run a dipstick steve?

1303Steve - September 25th, 2015 at 02:33 PM

I do run a dip stick, just work out amount you cut off and shorten it the same amount

REDKG - September 25th, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Given up on the mustang and back to VWs ?

Subarugears - September 25th, 2015 at 10:26 PM

I can personally vouch for the sumps that Paul at Down South Motorsports builds - based on Brad's design. They put these sumps on the two buggies that competed in the Norra 1000 rallye this year - and finished first and second in class. Then driven back to San Diego from the tip of Mexico. Both cars were then driven across the USA and back - some 9000 miles. They both conquered the famous Pike's Peak and the Manxter also did 99 miles of S curves, ALL the hills in San Francisco and all without issue. It's not even a discussion - just call Paul and get yours.

kombi_kid - September 26th, 2015 at 07:15 AM

Haha uncle brian na tinkering on both vws at home mustang is in gold.coast .....

OZ Towdster - September 26th, 2015 at 06:13 PM

You bought a pony car ??????????????????????? lol

kombi_kid - September 26th, 2015 at 06:42 PM

hahahahahaha yer its been in the buolding phase for the past 3 years nearly done though sick of american shit gotta get back to my roots something less complicated !