Board Logo

Bay window Suby and auto conversion
nbturbo - February 21st, 2017 at 03:37 PM

I have taken on this conversion- bus auto and EJ 22 into a Bus. The Bus is completely stripped- nothing left other than wheels and fuel tank. I thought it would be a straightforward fit for the auto because they came with them. The trans is too long for the body. The manual box was a 3 rib with the top mount and a type 1 engine with the rear mount.When I slide the auto in with the front mount hard against the torsion tube- the top mount is still too far out by about 40mm. Has anybody ever done this conversion??I can cut and shut everything to get it in- but I'm puzzled because the trans I have came from a Bus- but a later model with a 2lt Type 4 engine

mackaymanx - February 21st, 2017 at 05:41 PM

The earlier Busses came with the 003 based autos for the 1700 and 1800, the busses with the type 1 engine would not have come with an auto at all(not enough power). The late busses got the 010 auto with the 2L engine.

Your problem could be that the body was never designed for an auto or the autos are different lengths possibly.

mackaymanx - February 21st, 2017 at 05:45 PM

Info

https://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=104543 

nbturbo - February 21st, 2017 at 06:16 PM

Thanks mate.Many years ago I swapped a bus 003 auto for an early 3 rib box. The bloke put the 3 rib with 2 lt Datsun motor back in. I thought the motor that came out was a twin carb 2lt. That's what he sold it as anyway.I think you are correct about the body not being built for an auto. I will try and find a 3 rib late box and do some measuring .

nbturbo - February 22nd, 2017 at 03:12 PM

I have it in now.I got it as far forward as possible using a Type3 auto front mount, and the bell housing top mount is exactly 40mm further back from the standard manual box position. I have cut all the chassis structure to hold the top mount and will fab all new stuff. Might lift the front of the trans up about 20mm to get the Suby sump a bit higher

nbturbo - February 23rd, 2017 at 09:39 PM

Finished all the metal fab for the engine/trans mounts.I only managed to lift the motor 10mm-made no difference to the height.The Suby sumps sure hang low.Do the shortened Suby sumps still allow the original engine mounts to be used?

nbturbo - February 25th, 2017 at 03:20 PM

After a lot of measuring and Ebay surfing-I reckon I can fit the rad vertical on the LHS up against the spare wheel well.I will need to seal it off to prevent any air that comes thru the top exterior vents bypassing the rad.I found an ally replacement for an EH Holden which should fit.It is a 3 core,so will keep it cool.

nbturbo - February 27th, 2017 at 06:48 PM

Decided to scrap the big crow bar size Bus auto shifter.This one is a walk thru,so have fitted a Type3 shifter alongside the seat.The cardboard bits are templates for me to make in fill panels from ally.Feels good sitting in the chair.Can add some cup holders if the owner wants.

Smiley - March 1st, 2017 at 08:16 PM

Fantastic work my friend!!

Loving that centre console for the shift!

Smiley :)

nbturbo - May 4th, 2017 at 09:42 PM

I wasn't happy with the whole auto trans/motor angle.I reckon i could get the back of the motor up higher.Got the ruler and spirit level out and decided to rehash the top trans mount.I cut and shut the bracket to lift the trans up 16mm at the top mount.That gave the motor crank pulley about 45mm lift.I lined the trans dead centre and spot on horizontally and tacked everything in place.When it all went back in,the left hand side of the motor was lower by about 20mm.Looked crap from behind.After an eternity of measuring and re measuring-I discovered the adaptor plate VW holes had been drilled over half a hole out.Decided to fix it myself.Welded up the 4 holes and and used a Bus bellhousing to remark everything.Drilled and tapped 10mm instead of the 3/8 UNC it came with.All good now.Finally finished the radiator today.I have to do some mods to the rad.The filler neck is no good where it is,so have bought a replacement ally weld on and some 32mm ally pipe.I have cut the OG filler off and will weld a bung in it.Have to fit the new one closer to the rear end and raise it to come through the back floor to get access to it.Also have to cut the lower outlet off and weld another to the bottom of the lower tank.

nbturbo - May 4th, 2017 at 09:49 PM

The adaptor plate rework.

Bone - May 4th, 2017 at 10:10 PM

The bolt holes in the adaptor plate are wrong??? "Are you serious!" What was the manufacture's response to that?

nbturbo - May 4th, 2017 at 10:25 PM

I wont repeat the answer.

Bone - May 5th, 2017 at 07:08 AM

Pm sent

mackaymanx - May 5th, 2017 at 08:28 AM

Mmmmm been there. I go Kennedy if I can, best i've seen but not cheap.

nbturbo - May 7th, 2017 at 11:59 AM

Had to do a few changes to the radiator to make it all work.I am happy with it.The original filler sat right under the strengthening ribs under the floor.Decided was easier to mod the rad than do the floor.Bought a weld on filler and some 32mm tube.Cut the OG filler off and welded in a 3mm bung.Cut a new filler hole in the rad and located the filler just thru the floor at the back of the Bus.Will make a cover to seal and hide it.I have cut out the spare wheel holder and will seal that area up to allow all air to go thru the rad.

nbturbo - May 9th, 2017 at 07:27 PM

Finished the radiator install today.Used 40x3mm ally for the top join and some 38mm 316 stainless for the lower connection.I machined the ally down to 38mm where the hose clamps will sit.Managed to make it all using OG Suby hoses.Need 2 Liberty lower hoses for the bottom line and need to cut 2 Liberty top hoses to make the one connection to the top of the radiator.

nbturbo - May 9th, 2017 at 07:28 PM

And the ally joiner

nbturbo - June 27th, 2017 at 04:51 PM

Is there anybody here other than Volksconversions doing Suby engine onto VW transmission adaptors?

rocknrob - June 27th, 2017 at 06:05 PM

do you mean just the adapter plate? just draw it up and have it laser cut...dunno about the auto bolt centers etc...do you have autocad?

mackaymanx - June 28th, 2017 at 08:53 AM

Unicap http://www.unicap.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id... .... I had one of these in a van I bought, had to fix it as one of the dowels did not line up.

Kennedy http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/default.aspx  ... bolt it on straight out of the box, no need to double check their work. Smallcar sell the automatic version and the manual version can be had on ebay.

Also http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/category_s/61.htm 

grazza7755 - June 28th, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Have you looked at smallcar.com ?
I used all their gear and had no problems.

nbturbo - June 28th, 2017 at 04:21 PM

Was just curious as to what was available here.Bought 3 kits recently from Aus and had to seriously modify 2 and get rid of the 3/8 UNC bolts on all 3 and tap out to 10mm to use the standard VW hardware.It's too late now for these 3,but will do some more conversions in the future.

rocknrob - June 29th, 2017 at 04:54 PM

nb turbo i made my adapter plate for subaru to 091 vw...drew it up and had it laser cut and a little 4mm locating ring which i stitch welded to it

recently i did the same making an adapter plate for holden 3.8 to 091 vw box...both plates have served well and cost me less than $200 each

let me know if i can be of help in the future....cheers, Rob

nbturbo - June 30th, 2017 at 06:07 AM

Thanks Rob

nbturbo - July 30th, 2017 at 06:01 PM

I found on here that CustomVDub in Qld were making the throttle body adaptor to shift it's position in a Bus to prevent it hitting the fuel tank.I have rung several times and it rings out,so have left messages-but no return call yet.Are they still in business? Does any body else do an adaptor?

mackaymanx - July 30th, 2017 at 06:58 PM

Sharpsbuilt make one but don't know if it will suit, the one I had the throttle body shaft hit the fire wall. Ended up making my own.

nbturbo - July 30th, 2017 at 07:55 PM

Thanks Brent- that will probably occur here as well. Was hoping to save the drama of getting the plates made up then having to weld it up. You haven't come across an engine loom yet?

mackaymanx - July 30th, 2017 at 08:27 PM

No sorry.

nbturbo - September 3rd, 2017 at 07:29 PM

This is the second Bus I am converting-the auto one has gone away to have the body work done.Got this one fired up at last.Wound over for about 5 seconds then burst into life.I ended up having to make my own throttle body reverser.Rang a profile cutting place about making them-he had a $100 minimum order,so he cut me 10 to make up the $$$.Bought an exhaust donut and did some welding.Finished the cooling pipes and fitted it all.I have a problem when it's cranking-appears to have too much ignition advance and winds over slowly-but still fires up.Will contact Andrew to see if can shed some light on it.