Board Logo

Another Subi Superbug EJ20T conversion
kiwiev - April 11th, 2017 at 08:30 AM

So the blue Superbug has been in the tractor shed steering at me when I go pass, and thought this would make a cool winter project.

1) I now have access to Tesla motor and gearbox out of the USA, you know I converted the 66 bug to electric and its a ripper. The Tesla is 420 Kw and $15,900 plus shipping and taxes maybe down the track.

2) go the Subi conversion

kiwiev - April 11th, 2017 at 08:39 AM

So a few questions I have read Joels awesome conversion great work mate, I was going with this:

First Im in NSW am I push the preverbial S$%t up hill????

1) Subrugears gearbox
2) Rafers braces where do I get this?
3) Rear disc brake kit where and whats a good brand that people have used?
4) Toyota MR2 ali racing radiator
5) Have ordered a rear airbag kit from Airkewld not because Im a bag person but I live in the snowy mountains and have 3Km of dirt rough road to get over, I thought this way I can raise the car until I get to the black top.
6) front has disc brakes already
7) front struts I need a set of springs as the previous owner cut them, I am OK with cutting the spring cup lowering and re-welding
8) Front replacement strut inserts any ideas??

Thank you for any pointers a real newbie when it comes to bugs

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev - April 11th, 2017 at 08:40 AM

So I placed 12 bricks and old batteries to get the car to sit where I want it.

kiwiev - April 11th, 2017 at 08:42 AM

I promise I will send the Toranna lights to heaven I will fibreglass and install late 50s tail lights

kiwiev - April 11th, 2017 at 08:43 AM

I have liked these guards from Vintage Vee Dub make a Super look bold.

Question can someone give me a link for the headlights

Thank you Kiwi

nbturbo - April 12th, 2017 at 06:55 AM

Another WOW project from you. I also love those front guards. I have them on 3 cars. That one in your pic looks like the clip is already there to hold the top oh the headlight. They take any 6 volt Beetle head light assembly. I have bought all ally radiators for the busses with Suby motors. They suit an EH Holden. The top inlet is slightly smaller. Haven't decided yet how I will change that. The motors in an EH were just over 2.5 litre, so with a good air supply they should work. Like your work- well done.

kiwiev - April 12th, 2017 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbturbo
Another WOW project from you. I also love those front guards. I have them on 3 cars. That one in your pic looks like the clip is already there to hold the top oh the headlight. They take any 6 volt Beetle head light assembly. I have bought all ally radiators for the busses with Suby motors. They suit an EH Holden. The top inlet is slightly smaller. Haven't decided yet how I will change that. The motors in an EH were just over 2.5 litre, so with a good air supply they should work. Like your work- well done.

Thanks mate you are a champ, any idea on front struts? and rear disc kits?

Sorry for all the questions mate.

Cheers Kiwi

nbturbo - April 12th, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Never had anything to do with ones with struts-other than to use the pans for repair pieces for early pans.I do my own rear disc conversions using everything from the back of an ED Ford Falcon.I have done a couple in 5x130 using this stuff.Bought some new blank rotors and redrilled.I buy my front rotors from John Sherman in QLD,his prices are quite reasonable.I have bought 5x130 and 5x114.3 from him and they are good quality.I have always used the 22mm brake master cylinder with no probs.I ended up with a few spare M/C in LH drive,so have converted 3 floor pans to use them up.(one was my Drag Car which I converted to LH steer anyway) They are way cheaper than RH drive ones.

1303Steve - April 12th, 2017 at 04:10 PM

if your budget can afford it 911 headlights fit as well and they dont have the ugly Herman Munster bolt on the bottom. I have 911 headlights in my bug and also my sons bug. Checck out my build thread

Get some skinny struts from Vintage, they have smaller diameter springs which help fitting wider front wheels

kiwiev - April 12th, 2017 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
if your budget can afford it 911 headlights fit as well and they dont have the ugly Herman Munster bolt on the bottom. I have 911 headlights in my bug and also my sons bug. Checck out my build thread

Get some skinny struts from Vintage, they have smaller diameter springs which help fitting wider front wheels

Thanks Steve your build thread was an awesome read ups and downs I saw your car at the snowy 1000 I was pit crewing for Brett with the Electric Radical. Next day I raced against Glen Torrens at the hill climb in my electric car.

Boris is my new best friend have a front valance slotted on the way, I will check his structs out and springs thanks.

what year for the 911 lights ?

Thanks guys

Cheers Kiwi

P.S. have ordered a Subaru gears engine box mount

1303Steve - April 12th, 2017 at 06:43 PM

You can get 911 headlights with chrome ring or mine are black and they use a body coloured ring cover, not sure of the year but in the 80s I think.

Did we talk at the Snowy? I hope I can get an entry this year with all my extra kWs it should be fun

kiwiev - April 12th, 2017 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
You can get 911 headlights with chrome ring or mine are black and they use a body coloured ring cover, not sure of the year but in the 80s I think.

Did we talk at the Snowy? I hope I can get an entry this year with all my extra kWs it should be fun

Thanks for the info Steve Im not sure if I said hello or not at the 1000 will catch up this year for sure.

How many Kws you running now? I wonder if I could get you to the dark side with a an Electric Tesla power plant 420 Kw and only one gear you would get your Bug doing 0-100 in 2.7 seconds.

Cheers Kiwi

1303Steve - April 13th, 2017 at 07:14 AM

Catch up for sure, I dont think Glen will be going again

My old setup was making 282 kW. The forged strocker is capable of 400 kW in AWD cars so it will be interesting to see what I can make, I not at the limit of the chassis yet but another 100 kW might do it.

Tesla sounds interesting, a friend has a Tesla I going to get her to take it out to the drags when I go out next

kiwiev - April 13th, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Catch up for sure, I dont think Glen will be going again

My old setup was making 282 kW. The forged strocker is capable of 400 kW in AWD cars so it will be interesting to see what I can make, I not at the limit of the chassis yet but another 100 kW might do it.

Tesla sounds interesting, a friend has a Tesla I going to get her to take it out to the drags when I go out next

Thats impressive power mate.

If you need a bed and last minute workshop for the Snowy 1000 just let us know we are only 30 minutes from the Airport.

You have to get a ride in the Tesla it really tests the sensors like its fast but your mine is so use to noise you don't believe it.

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev - April 13th, 2017 at 10:59 AM

So I have both front guards on and really like the look, Steve where did you get your running boards from? are they carbon fibre?

Have ordered the Subaru gears box mount, and have a car lined up its a drift car liberty with a EJ20T conversion and STI heads.

Has anyone come up with an idea of moving the inter-cooler of do you have to chop the fire wall any way.

Thanks Kiwi

1303Steve - April 13th, 2017 at 11:06 AM

thanks for the offer

I smashed one of me running boards last year at Eastern Creek but I finally tracked down a pair, I gave to a fibreglass friend of mine who is copying them in fibreglass.

I think I know the Subaru drift car owner, hes a friend of my son, we are involved in the drift scene, I have a 180SX and I bought a body kit from the Subaru drift car driver

kiwiev - April 13th, 2017 at 12:28 PM

this guys in Canberra Doug is his name

1303Steve - April 13th, 2017 at 03:52 PM

The guy I met was in Ryde, maybe his old car?

kiwiev - April 17th, 2017 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
The guy I met was in Ryde, maybe his old car?

Hi Steve off on Tuesday for 4 weeks RnR would it be OK if I can call you one evening to pick your brain PM me your phone number if its OK.

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev - April 18th, 2017 at 05:49 PM

Xmas turned up to day right on the eve of me going away bugger.

Airkewld air bag kit for the rear, has anyone done one of these before?

Subaru gears tranny and engine mount, great service from Todd and a good bloke.

thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev - April 18th, 2017 at 05:51 PM

So this is the motor I have been toying with what do you guys think???

Gen ii Subaru with GC8 engine and box , the engine has V? 5or 6 STI heads a TDO5 turbo dump pipe and a BOV, 3" exhaust system

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev - April 18th, 2017 at 05:53 PM

Down the track this would be great option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDu9HpPD8VY 

Cheers Kiwi

nbturbo - May 19th, 2017 at 06:38 PM

Gone cold on us Kiwiev- that Airkewld stuff is the same as I bought. Instructions are vague so a lot of cut and test fit. Pretty sure I put pics on here of the process

kiwiev - May 25th, 2017 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbturbo
Gone cold on us Kiwiev- that Airkewld stuff is the same as I bought. Instructions are vague so a lot of cut and test fit. Pretty sure I put pics on here of the process

Sorry mate just had 5 weeks RnR in New Zealand back on deck now, my boy has pulled the seats out and bonnets off while I was away and has almost got the motor out.

Hopefully in the next week I will pick up the Subi

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev - June 1st, 2017 at 03:26 PM

Well had a mixed day on the superbug, the good the bad and the ugly. Good was got the motor out OK the bad was the death foam rust holes are just plain ugly.

I must be bloody mad what do you guys think?????

Cheers Kiwi

nbturbo - June 1st, 2017 at 06:03 PM

Geezus Kiwi - that's enough rust to send you loopy. I only play with 6 volt bodies and have never seen anything that bad. But did buy a curved screen one couple of years back and found it almost as bad. Will use some of it for doner metal to make my Oval ute body.

kiwiev - June 6th, 2017 at 04:36 PM

So the Son and I picked up the Liberty it has the converted 2 litre turbo WRX complete with STI heads and variable boost dump valve. The thing bloody flys. It is only running in rear wheel drive as it was a drift car. And drift it does with the button racing clutch its out or in so wheels spins easy. Boost hits at 2000 rpm and pulls all the way to 7200 rpm in a blink of an eye. Not a bad buy for $2000 with adjustable coil overs all round. I thought we might use the rear brakes too and use subagears conversion.

So we took the rear apron off as suggested by Mark great idea trying to look where to cut the fire wall out Mark. I looked at your thread its a bit dark but I guess the whole thing.

Cheers Kiwi

maloo - June 7th, 2017 at 08:32 PM

Hi kiwiev

Basically I just inverted the standard firewall to make the bottom corner become the top corner. Off memory I think it is about 300mm. I had intended to use the piece I cut out but decided it was much better to fabricate one out of sheet metal that I could take the back off it easily. I am really really glad I did as there is hardly any room to work from the front....

Then I just welded it into place......you could also bolt it in no problems....

I must admit that when I got the grinder out and started cutting I was thinking what the fu&k am I doing....but great now...

Cheers

Mark

kiwiev - June 8th, 2017 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by maloo
Hi kiwiev

Basically I just inverted the standard firewall to make the bottom corner become the top corner. Off memory I think it is about 300mm. I had intended to use the piece I cut out but decided it was much better to fabricate one out of sheet metal that I could take the back off it easily. I am really really glad I did as there is hardly any room to work from the front....

Then I just welded it into place......you could also bolt it in no problems....

I must admit that when I got the grinder out and started cutting I was thinking what the fu&k am I doing....but great now...

Cheers

Mark

Great Mark I will do that and maybe just weld in 1 25mm SHS frame around the opening to bolt the sheet metal on with a rubber seal.

Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev - June 10th, 2017 at 05:57 PM

A bit more work today took a big breath and got the grinder out cut a big hole in the fire wall. Then gave 1303Steve a call to make sure I did the right thing. See below hole and donor motor to fill the hole.

Cheers Kiwi