Board Logo

Let's see some install shots
555bug - October 3rd, 2003 at 06:47 PM

Ok so there are a number of guys on here doing EJ20T bugs, bajas and manxs. I know I'm always keen to see the way people have approached various tasks so why don't we post some pictures so people can lay shit/praise and others can make better cars from our efforts :) I'll post a few pics as I dig them up but one for now. Coolant, fuel and hydraulic lines. Also a couple of spare in case i decide to go power stearing :)

kombi_kid - October 6th, 2003 at 08:13 AM

what about ABS??? power steering in a bug??? no point there like a go kart anyway!!!
cheers
rhys

555bug - October 8th, 2003 at 12:04 AM

hmmm air chisle and air shears starting to mock up a template for the cage and tubs

humpty - October 10th, 2003 at 11:57 PM

You got it!

humpty - October 10th, 2003 at 11:58 PM

And another!

555bug - October 11th, 2003 at 07:49 AM

Nice stuff Simon :) now for the obligitory questions: how does she go? does it seem to handle worse/better? how many gearboxes has it eaten? + anything else you feel like typing. It looks like a very nice install.

wadd - October 11th, 2003 at 09:05 AM

555bug
don`t shout to loud at me but i have a question.... cutting the tunnel isn`t that like backbone surgey .. i mean isn`t it the strong point of the pan and havn`t you just weakend it ...how will the road worthy go with that perticular modifation..i know more than 1 question but hey if you don`t ask ya don`t learn..

shane:P

555bug - October 11th, 2003 at 09:53 AM

Yes the tunnel is a major part of the torsional strength of the car but 2 things. First I'm putting the top back on :) with added gussets so it should be stronger than stock, Second I'm building a triangulated sub frame for the box & engine that will tie in with a class 11 type cage. So I'd say it will be loads stiffer than a standard bug :) + my engineer seems only to happy with what I’m planning (Porsche brakes, collapsible collum, retractable seat belts, new glass, side intrusion bars (perhaps). It’s a big project hence the time it taken me to get this far :( but I really enjoy the research/design and of course the collecting buying/selling to fund it :)

wadd - October 11th, 2003 at 08:34 PM

555bug
thanks mate sounds really great. great idea too gets all that extra stuff out of the road. and you can really clean the inside of the tunnel

humpty - October 14th, 2003 at 12:52 AM

Ok...Here goes....

When the car was built 5 years ago we stuck stock ratio hodrod (monster diff/gusseted/welded syncros..etc) box from TRANSFORM. It held together with no problems for 4 years b4 we had some funny noises appear! My brother has rebuilt the box as best he could...It has a few noisy gremlins, but seems to be holding together. This is his first attempt at a trans rebuild...So lets see shall we! As for the handling...In a straight line it's great, but when you hit a corner it does get a little scary! The backend needs a little work as the whole rear subframe seems to be moving about...A common problem with Hi-Po TIII's! The added weight of the Subi engine hasn't really made that much difference, but the HP has!
The car has run a best of 13 flat on crap radials, spinning the wheels through the first 3 gears!
We need better rubber!