Board Logo

My cooling system
subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 06:50 AM

Here is what i did to my pan to get ground clearance and straight tubes in order to keep the pressure in the cooling system low.

[Edited on 15-3-2005 by subaruboxer]

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 07:07 AM

I cut out two little pieces!!!

[Edited on 4-3-2005 by subaruboxer]

[Edited on 4-3-2005 by subaruboxer]

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 07:10 AM

[Just to get it flat!

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 07:14 AM

Paintet pan with new straight 2 mm steel pieces.

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 07:16 AM

Here the radiator.

[Edited on 5-3-2005 by subaruboxer]

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 07:18 AM

The front end.

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 07:21 AM

The radiator cover. It would be possible to get the battery to the front of the car.

Brad - March 5th, 2005 at 10:38 AM

keen to see some more pics of your radiator

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 09:32 PM

Here a pic of the front end of the tubes

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 09:36 PM

While cleaning the engine i had the idea to reverse the tube on the engine, to get to the right direction,

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 09:41 PM

This is what it looks like now. Unfortunately this pic is a bit blurred, but it is the only one i have.

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 09:45 PM

And the completed engine.

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 09:50 PM

other side

lugnuts - March 5th, 2005 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by subaruboxer
The radiator cover. It would be possible to get the battery to the front of the car.
That is one smooth install,looks almost oem :kiss

subaruboxer - March 5th, 2005 at 09:55 PM

And the engine running for the first time.

humpty - March 6th, 2005 at 12:56 AM

Sorry to take the wind out of your sails, but the reverse coolant manifold thing has been done before.
That said, well done....It certainly cleans up the rear of the conversion and makes for a simpler coolant path.

I really should do this to my Bug....I will, right after the EG33 conversion in my bus is finished. Just the fuel system and charging systems to go!

I was thinking about running the coolant lines through the heater channels on my Bug...Has anyone looked at that?

subaruboxer - March 6th, 2005 at 01:30 AM

Hi humpty,
I know now that I was not the first one to reverse the water manifold. I Did it a year ago, when I still had no PC and no access to the world wide web. At that time I only knew one suby conversion. It is just that I thougt I had a good idea. With little effort you gain a lot. I would not recommend you to put the coolant lines through the heater channels. You will get moisture in your heater channels due to condensation. If you run tubing under the pan you are kind of enlarging the radiator.

[Edited on 13-3-2005 by subaruboxer]

humpty - March 6th, 2005 at 01:43 AM

My brother did the EJ20T thing to his Notch over 6 years ago and he ran the lines straight up the middle. No clearnance issues on his car as the pipe fitted into the channel recess next to the floorpan halfs. As a result more corners in his system. He has been running the standard water pump with this set-up and also running a front mounted intercooler radiator up front also...In 6 years of West Australian heat (40+C in summer) the car has never over heated. He is running an old style copper radiator up front with a small air intake that would be no more than 300x120mm sitting just below the bumper.

As the coolant lines are hot, I would have thought that running the lines through the heater channels would keep them dry. But as you say, there woud be an added cooling benefit to running the lines in the airstream. I do know a guy who ran his lines up the tunnel, but I think his car get a bit hot in the cab!!! Not good!!! :duh

akean1 - March 6th, 2005 at 03:37 AM

nice work!:thumb does it worry you having the battery right next to the fuel tank?

Doley - March 6th, 2005 at 03:41 AM

Great job!!!. Do keep us posted. What did you use for ECU and wiring, stock or aftermarket ?.

subaruboxer - March 6th, 2005 at 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doley
Great job!!!. Do keep us posted. What did you use for ECU and wiring, stock or aftermarket ?.

Hi Doley, I use a stock ECU and stock wiring.

subaruboxer - March 6th, 2005 at 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by akean1
nice work!:thumb does it worry you having the battery right next to the fuel tank?

Hi akean 1, no it does not worry me, because mine is under the rear seat. I just checked the possibility to transfer some weight to the front of the bug.

Brad - March 6th, 2005 at 09:38 AM

Cool thanks for the photos. A few questions / comments ??:

- ensure the heater lines are not blocked off as they need water running through them in order to allow the thermostate to work. If you block them your engine will over heat. I can see you have retained them on your engine which is a good thing. Unsure what you are going to do with them now though so just thought I would mention that it need continous flow a lot of car heaters do not provide this as the stop the flow when they are clossed.

- If you are chopping and spining the water manifold then it is a good idea to add a blead nipple to it so you can get the air out of the lines easy. The EJ's can be a real PITA to bleed up and any air can mean over heating.

- Intake manifold .. how did you go with the rear fire wall ? Have just put an EJ into a beetle body and got it to clear, did you cut your rear wall ?

- What is the overflow bottle from ? It looks real neat and I would be keen to get hold of one.

- Will be interested to see how you cooling goes, it looks like a good setup and doesn't stand out, nice and suttle.

Congrats on the install it looks very neat :beer

boof2332 - March 6th, 2005 at 11:08 AM

Nice work,

Is it at your place or a workshop....what is the radiator out of?
Mine is an alfa 33 ..is small also and fits just like yours, although I have 2 10 inch fans behind.

The reversal of the cooling pipe makes the rear look that bit neater.

Keep the pics coming..

matt

subaruboxer - March 6th, 2005 at 06:52 PM

Hi Brad,

the heater lines are not blocked off. To get the car street legal a heater is to be installed overhere. It is under the rear seat where the battery used to be. The battery is moved to the drivers side under the rear seat.The overflow bottle is of a VW rabbit 4 (Golf 4 overhere).
Yes I had to cut the firewall to make room for the intake manifold. It got to be welded in to get it street legal.
Getting the air out of the cooling system is no sweat. I just let it run warm let it cool down completly, and fill it up then.
That is about it. It is important to leave the cap of the overflow bottle on while cooling down. It got to be a closed system or all the water will spill out.

Hi Matt,

the radiator is of a VW rabbit 1 GTI, it fits because I made the spare wheel well wider at the bottom. I started with a GTI-engine and saw a subaru conversion at a meet and got aware that I was on the wrong track.

More pics to come of the heater and some details.

And yes it is my place no workshop, I do it all by myself.

[Edited on 16-5-2005 by subaruboxer]

subaruboxer - March 6th, 2005 at 07:11 PM

Not the cooling system, but as you asked for it here the box
that i welded in and my wiring and ECU.

vwrallycar - March 6th, 2005 at 08:06 PM

will be interesting to see how well your engine stays cool with very little air inlet to the radiator. i say that because i tried mine like that 1st and found that i had to put holes in the bonnet to keep the temp down. please let me know how you get on with this

subaruboxer - March 7th, 2005 at 02:26 AM

vwrallycar,
here two pics of front. One from the side, here you see how I changed the spare wheel well. And one from above.

subaruboxer - March 7th, 2005 at 02:31 AM

There is more air coming in, not just trough those 69 12 mm holes. I painted it all black to hide it.

Jenny - March 7th, 2005 at 10:20 AM

Nice work, keep those pictures comming!