Board Logo

Steves 1303 buildup, found lots of kilowatts
1303Steve - September 8th, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Hi

I wont have access to the Club Vee Dub website soon, a new webmaster is taking over so I wont posting updates on my car on the club website. I'm in the process of moving all my build files to another server, so for the mean time I will post updates here.

With the new engineering laws for modified cars coming along soon I thought that I should get my finger out and get things happening.

If you haven't seen what I've been upto, I'm fitting a Porsche G50 transmission and 2003 Sti motor to a 1303, I've been working on it since September 2004.

Steve

Photo time.

After seeing the success that everyone is having with smaller radiators I ditched the massive one that I used in my old 1302 in favour of one from an 1983 Audi 100/200, I also already had a fan and housing from an earlier Audi 100 5E. it bolts up to that later radiator OK.

itawolf - September 9th, 2010 at 02:40 AM

cant wait to see more

vw54 - September 9th, 2010 at 07:17 AM

get back to the garage

seagull - September 9th, 2010 at 11:14 PM

The never ending story

waltermitty - September 9th, 2010 at 11:27 PM

I love the feeling of peanut butter sticking to the roof of my mouth, whats wrong with you Steve?
Mitchell

Joel - September 10th, 2010 at 08:33 AM

Nice Rack ;)

How was the old owner getting air to the rad with no hole in the valance?

that one looks too good to cut up/replace

1303Steve - September 10th, 2010 at 09:00 AM

Hi

I'm scared or peanut butter & angle grinders.

The photo doesn't show the cut out properly in the front apron.

I'm happy to be going back to this Audi fan, when I used it last on my old bug, when it came on it was like blowing compressed air on the ground, chip packets, dust and sticks would blow everywhere.

Steve

pete wood - September 10th, 2010 at 09:04 AM

hey, is that a racing slick on the front drivers side? :lol:

1303Steve - September 10th, 2010 at 09:20 AM

one of the special Dunlop B7+

1303Steve - September 30th, 2010 at 09:50 PM

Hi

I just had my Simmons refurbished and the widths and offsets changed. They are now 18x8 with a 40 ET.

To make them look right I will need to pick up an inch in the front which I will do with 944 hubs. I needed to go to this offset to get the outer rims looking the same front & back and the rear 944 alloy trailing arms would only work with this offset and Aero mudguards.

Tyres are Federal 595 RSR, 225/40x18 & 255/35x18 the same type we use on my son Davids bug, a street race tyre, that's good in the wet and will be OK on track.

Steve

1303Steve - September 30th, 2010 at 09:55 PM

Hi

I know whale tails are not considered cool, but they do have a benefit, larger engine bay and better cooling, not mention increased downforce at high speeds.

I've got the old familiar fibreglass itch, I had to cut the gills in the top.

There is another section to go on the top as well, this will be adjsutable.

Steve

1303Steve - September 30th, 2010 at 09:57 PM

Hi

As a consequence of moving the transmission & motor 100 mm forward to axles are getting a little too friendly with the shocks, so I had to make them, lean over a bit for some clearance.

Steve

STIDUB - October 1st, 2010 at 05:36 AM

steve, got any pics of those wheels fitted up? im curious how thats right since mine are ET+6 and sit nicely, are you using a spacer on the front to keep them looking even f&r?

1303Steve - October 1st, 2010 at 07:54 AM

Hi Dave

I ran 17x8 inch front wheels on my yellow bug with a 10 ET. My wheels are 40 ET with a 25 mm thicker hub will be 15 ET, close enough to 10 ET or your ET.

Steve

1303Steve - October 2nd, 2010 at 09:31 AM

Hi

I got the wing and rear Aeros mounted, the rear wheel sits nice.

Steve

ElusiveStranger - October 2nd, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Dump that tail.
It's gopping.

You know that fat chick you pulled one night when out on the razzle?
She may have looked OK to you that night...
Then you woke up
"Waisted. I thought she was a stunner. Waisted, she was an eighteen tonner" (Naked Apes)

Seriously though, make your own mind up. You have to drive it

pete wood - October 2nd, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I don't mind the RSR tail as long as it fits in with the rest of the car. I reckon that's the man issue with them looking naff on other cars... and it beats having to stuff round with water/air intercoolers if you can get it to house the intercooler too.

crsedge - October 2nd, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve

With the new engineering laws for modified cars coming along soon I thought that I should get my finger out and get things happening.

When do the new laws come in? Is there a site to read what the restrictions are?

By the way, looks great!

Cheers

Craig

1303Steve - October 2nd, 2010 at 06:20 PM

Hi

The new laws are supposed to be coming in January, but they have been saying that for years. There is soem posts on this sight about it.

The engineer that I've been dealing with has said that he will chuck it in when they start, I don't want to go to another engineer if I can help it.

I spoke to another engineer near to me he said " you've done what? have you calculated the CC to car weight factor etc" he calmed down after a while.

I'm getting a stock lid painted as well so if I don't like the tail it can get the flick.

Steve

johny rotten - October 2nd, 2010 at 06:56 PM

na na na na na na na na Batman

pete wood - October 2nd, 2010 at 10:19 PM

:lol:

johny rotten - October 3rd, 2010 at 07:06 AM

Holy Moses boy wonder :rolleyes:

Quick too the bat cave

Camo - October 3rd, 2010 at 05:10 PM

Steve,

I reckon it will look good and it only comes down to what you want, and as you said there is also a purpose or two for running this rear wing. Love the aeros, I will have to get over there one day and have a look if you dont mind.

keep working, Kev.

beetleboyjeff - October 3rd, 2010 at 05:21 PM

I don't mind rear wings, and I reckon that is quite a good looking one. Can't wait to see it in real life.

Jak Rizzo - October 3rd, 2010 at 06:22 PM

nice work Steve

The only opinion worth anything is your own, you're the one that will have to drive it.

Jak

hellbugged - October 3rd, 2010 at 08:20 PM

yeah looks phat as!

come on Steve, where are some updates?

1303Steve - October 3rd, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Hi

Thanks for the encouraging comments, I've been working all weekend that's why I didn't go to Warwick.

I should get some more done next week, hopefully off to the painters in the next week or so.

Steve

1303Steve - October 6th, 2010 at 08:14 PM

Hi

I just fitted some Toyota Kluger side markers to the front 1/4.

Steve

Birdman - October 6th, 2010 at 09:34 PM

Exactly the sort of thing i was looking for steve, nice mod!
Guess it demonstrates i dont look at Klugers:lol:
And don't worry about copping flak for your wing, when they see my part 'W' part GT2 part new beetle deckild they will gag :yes:

1303Steve - October 6th, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Hi

I'm always looking for things to use from other cars for use on my bug, I have a Kia or Hyundai fold out cup holder.

I think the same side marker is used on other Toyotas as well

We can start a big ass wing club.

Steve