Board Logo

Baja Kit ID
AaronJ1970 - February 9th, 2017 at 09:07 PM

Hey gang,
Does anyone know the make of the baja kit that has the two raised stripes on the front hood (see attached).
I see a few around, but its not a Cheetah kit.
Cheers,
Aaron

BlasterTheRedBajaBug - February 9th, 2017 at 09:18 PM

Read here
https://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=111844 
But read all as I had trouble too if it is out of context with the other posts

BlasterTheRedBajaBug - February 9th, 2017 at 09:38 PM

That was an ok buy aswell. Not too bad is it cracked or chipped?

AaronJ1970 - February 11th, 2017 at 09:12 PM

Hey Blaster,
I didn't buy it.
Was just using it as an example of the style of kit I've seen around and wondering what the kit is.
Cheers,
Aaron

Smiley - February 12th, 2017 at 06:46 PM

Hey mate. Those are Cheetah mud guards and the Manx kit bonnet and nose cone.

This is what I have on my Baja also. The Cheetah guards are the widest and strongest. And I prefer the look of the Manx kit bonnet and nosecone over the Cheetah kit. Plus the is slightly more space inside the 'spare tyre' well.

Smiley :)

AaronJ1970 - February 14th, 2017 at 08:19 PM

Thanks Smiley.

Now just to find myself my first baja project!!!

AJ

Bone - February 15th, 2017 at 06:31 AM

As Smiley said Manx wide eye kit bonnet, nose cone and front guards with Cheetah rear guards.
Not sure if I agree with the more room with manx kit as compared to Cheetah out front.
Both of these kits are ok for rego in Qld but bug eye kits are a no go with lights in nose cone.

Smiley - February 15th, 2017 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bone
As Smiley said Manx wide eye kit bonnet, nose cone and front guards with Cheetah rear guards.
Not sure if I agree with the more room with manx kit as compared to Cheetah out front.
Both of these kits are ok for rego in Qld but bug eye kits are a no go with lights in nose cone.

Those a Cheetah from guards too.
The Manx guards flare out flat at the edge and aren't as wide. And the Cheetah guards end in a return edge that points to the ground. Or do I have them around the wrong way?

It might just seem like there is more space because they are a bit easier to get things in and out of. Though I do think that the Cheetah bonnet would be easier to seal up for water crossings.

Smiley :)

Bone - February 16th, 2017 at 10:18 PM

Yes Smiley Its cheetah guards all round :tu:

Thunderfury 2575 - February 19th, 2017 at 06:45 PM

Funnily enough i was looking at that ad on gumtree too, as I'm still after a baja kit for my beetle.

AaronJ1970 - February 19th, 2017 at 09:07 PM

Well you're one up on me.... I still need beetle first ;-)

I know it'll be state dependant, but anyone know how one-piece front kits are viewed?

AJ

Bone - February 19th, 2017 at 10:36 PM

One piece front bonnet kit ect is not my cup of tea but that's only my opinion.
Matt berry has a mould for one up here on the Sunshine coast Qld.

AaronJ1970 - February 20th, 2017 at 09:00 AM

Yes, each to their own. Not sure they are my cup of tea either, but have spied a 'possible' project car.

Re my question though... I was more asking about how the one-piece kits go with roadworthy/registration?

Cheers,
AJ

BlasterTheRedBajaBug - March 14th, 2017 at 11:37 AM

My uncle tried to get a one piece regoed for daily use but could only get conditional rego for car shows as he was told and I quote "It hasn't got a sufficient support frame" and he had one custom built and mod plated for it but the guy said "look the best I can do is conditional rego for car shows etc." He is in NSW so it might vary by state.

Thunderfury 2575 - March 22nd, 2017 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlasterTheRedBajaBug
My uncle tried to get a one piece regoed for daily use but could only get conditional rego for car shows as he was told and I quote "It hasn't got a sufficient support frame" and he had one custom built and mod plated for it but the guy said "look the best I can do is conditional rego for car shows etc." He is in NSW so it might vary by state.

You can get em in NSW, there is a place near mine called Fink Engineering

They've cleared a few bajas for rego if i recall correctly. It's possible, but difficult

BlasterTheRedBajaBug - March 23rd, 2017 at 10:01 PM

Yes but i was inferring just one piece flip fronts as the entire front clip cut back at the firewall.

Thunderfury 2575 - March 24th, 2017 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlasterTheRedBajaBug
Yes but i was inferring just one piece flip fronts as the entire front clip cut back at the firewall.

Ah, i see now. My bad