Board Logo

Offroad Type 3's
Smiley - March 23rd, 2009 at 06:37 PM

I was wondering if there are any offroad style Type 3's in Australia. I've seen some pictures of the ones in America and was wondering if we have any over here? Seeing has they have similar running gear to a beetle they wouldn't be hard to mod for offroad? Does anyone know where they fall down? I thought approach and departure angles wouldn't be as good as a Baja/buggy without cutting the body up. Any thoughts/ideas feel free to share them.

vwjon - March 23rd, 2009 at 09:45 PM

their front suspensions are weaker than the bug ones, they are heavier than bugs so land harder, thats all i know! jon

1916baja - March 24th, 2009 at 05:32 PM

Apparently there was one up near gympie a year or so ago. It was for sale but it was very rusty.

11CAB - March 24th, 2009 at 06:20 PM

I saw a couple over on Moreton Island back in the 90's when we were messing around with Baja Bugs over there.

Smiley - March 24th, 2009 at 06:52 PM

You couldn't cut the front or back off either could you? Unless you did some extensive bodywork to smooth it all back out and give good clearance. There's know way of swapping on a beetle front end? Or would that require a frame head cut and weld too?

philsmanx - April 21st, 2009 at 05:21 PM

ive seen a wagon stiched onto kombi running gear with a suby engine on the sunny coast this year:ninja:

matberry - April 21st, 2009 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by philsmanx
ive seen a wagon stiched onto kombi running gear with a suby engine on the sunny coast this year:ninja:

Sounds like the old Import Advantage square set up for an offroad safari. Used to be orange.

RISKYBUG - April 22nd, 2009 at 07:13 PM

NOT SURE IF THE FRONT IS WEAKER ??? BUT THERE WAS ONE IN TAMWORTH MANY MOONS AGO
FGLASS FRONT BIG BUX SPENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!