Board Logo

Baja Rego in QLD
vwkj87 - May 3rd, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Anyone know the official stance with QT with getting a baja registered? I've heard so many contradicting things.

11CAB - May 3rd, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Queensland Transport would..... give them a call to get the info from the horses mouth

vwkj87 - May 3rd, 2010 at 10:31 AM

... but they're evil.

1916baja - May 5th, 2010 at 07:09 PM

yes they are....

vwsteve - May 6th, 2010 at 06:26 PM

talk to buggy brad

OZ Towdster - May 6th, 2010 at 07:35 PM

Come see us at CVD and we'll see what you need to do/ require

vwkj87 - May 6th, 2010 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OZ Towdster
Come see us at CVD and we'll see what you need to do/ require

Can you approve a Baja Bug? It's just basic kit, big wheels and cages. All the rest is pretty much stock.

OZ Towdster - May 6th, 2010 at 08:23 PM

Yes as long as all requirements are up to Qld Transport Dept standards

vwkj87 - May 6th, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Is there a way to find that out before i have to tow it to the northside?

Baja Wes - May 7th, 2010 at 07:27 AM

In QLD there is no modification code to cover a Baja conversion, therefore it has to be approved by the department of transport themselves. You need to book in an inspection and take it to their inspection station. If they are happy they will give you a certificate that shows the Baja kit is approved. They should give you a checklist of what needs to be done. If you don't meet their requirements they will fail it and make you come back when it's fixed. Most people fail on the little things, eg you need full width bumpers, mud flaps at the rear, enough engine cage protection to stop someone touching the exhaust, hot engine or fans belts.

Bone - May 7th, 2010 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Wes
In QLD there is no modification code to cover a Baja conversion, therefore it has to be approved by the department of transport themselves. You need to book in an inspection and take it to their inspection station. If they are happy they will give you a certificate that shows the Baja kit is approved. They should give you a checklist of what needs to be done. If you don't meet their requirements they will fail it and make you come back when it's fixed. Most people fail on the little things, eg you need full width bumpers, mud flaps at the rear, enough engine cage protection to stop someone touching the exhaust, hot engine or fans belts.

Bone - May 7th, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
[.
As Wes said must be inspected at QT inspection station. But the most important thing even before that stage is to get the approval to fit baja kit letter from QT. Not hard but very slow....I PM'ed my ph number so feel free to call for details

vwkj87 - May 7th, 2010 at 06:19 PM

Cheers Wes and Shane, i'll start filling out the paper work...