Board Logo

56 beetle or superbug to baja
Redbackemu - February 9th, 2011 at 08:22 PM

Looking at a 56 beetle & a superbug at the moment would either of these be ok to Baja, or should I look for a certain year, any advice would be very welcome

Bizarre - February 9th, 2011 at 08:41 PM

OK - a 56 to baja ??
Are you saying you are going to baja an oval. :tu:

Supers are not the best to baja.
You want a beam front end

Smiley - February 9th, 2011 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Redbackemu
Looking at a 56 beetle & a superbug at the moment would either of these be ok to Baja, or should I look for a certain year, any advice would be very welcome

Get both. Use the 56 for the Baja then put the rear suspension and engine out of the superbug in it.

Smiley :cool:

hellbugged - February 9th, 2011 at 10:18 PM

find one already done, plenty around

Redbackemu - February 10th, 2011 at 08:19 PM

Thanks for your reply's is it sacrosanct to baja a 56 ? I would buy one already done, but haven't seen many in Victoria, if you know of any let me know

Smiley - February 10th, 2011 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply's is it sacrosanct to baja a 56 ? I would buy one already done, but haven't seen many in Victoria, if you know of any let me know

Of course it isn't!!

It's your car, do whatever you want with it!

As long as you're happy and have fun you don't have to bow to anyone else!

Joel - February 10th, 2011 at 09:05 PM

If you can afford to buy an oval and use it for a baja project they're paying you too much.

david777 - February 10th, 2011 at 09:15 PM

I'm sure someone here would happily swap you a front beam-ed 70s beetle for your 56!
It would have much better brakes, steering and vision for what you want to do, and the oval window beetle can live another day

DubCrazy - February 10th, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Quote:

not at all!1 i used to have a 54 that was Baja'd and i just found where its been hiding for the last 5 years.. mmm mite just have to fish a little more

steff.............

68AutoBug - February 10th, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Quote:

The front suspension of a Super Beetle is attached to the body..
NOT the chassis....

so a Super is not suited to be made into a BAJA....

have seen pics of one in the USA and the front did look terrible..
not sure how they did the front suspension.!!
lots of things You can buy for Offroad Beetles in the DSA..

I think all Baja kits are made for NON Super Beetles... in Aust

LEE

vwsteve - February 11th, 2011 at 07:35 AM

its fine to baja an oval as long as its a really rusty or smashed up oval in my opinion, try not to cut up a good one, that would be a waste

Joel - February 11th, 2011 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug

The front suspension of a Super Beetle is attached to the body..
NOT the chassis....

so a Super is not suited to be made into a BAJA....

have seen pics of one in the USA and the front did look terrible..
not sure how they did the front suspension.!!

Torsion bar bugs have the most robust front end for baja's but there are also plenty of very offroad capable super bajas out there.

I didn't think the front end of baja burleys superbug baja looked that terrible

Smiley - February 11th, 2011 at 02:31 PM

Superbugs do handle a fair bit.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=450392 

Redbackemu - February 11th, 2011 at 08:31 PM

Thanks for the advice, I think the 56 sounds too good, & the superbug may not be the best bet, so I will continue my search for the ideal beetle. If anybody knows of a Baja for sale in Victoria or an ideal beetle, let me know

helbus - February 11th, 2011 at 08:46 PM

The best beetle to cut up is a one owner immaculate original with no rust. You don't have to worry about old crap to fix then. These are the only type of cars I cut roofs off or cut in half to stretch.

Redbackemu - February 12th, 2011 at 05:34 PM

Not too easy to come by Beetle's with no rust, but I will keep my eye out. I don't know much about body work, but I guess it could be an expensive thing getting rust cut out of Beetle.

reub - February 12th, 2011 at 07:23 PM

Do the oval... chop chop chop :smilegrin:

matberry - February 13th, 2011 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by reub
Do the oval... chop chop chop :smilegrin:

:ninja::ninja::ninja:Reubs is a very bad man:ninja::ninja::ninja:

baghall - February 13th, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Here are 2 for sale on ebay

Is a car with baja kit included i think:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1969-VW-BEETLE-BAJA-GUARDS-AND-WIDE-WHEELS-FC-/2806253...

This one is a floor pan rebuilt suitable for offroading:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/vw-beetle-beach-buggy-baja-/140511419511?pt=AU_Car_Par...

This is a fibreglass kit for a baja. Unsure of quality:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vw-bettle-fibreglass-baja-kit-off-road-/130435154805?p...

If you want to baja an oval go for it. Would look good and nothing wrong with sticking it to the man, once in a while!

Joel - February 13th, 2011 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by helbus
The best beetle to cut up is a one owner immaculate original with no rust. You don't have to worry about old crap to fix then. These are the only type of cars I cut roofs off or cut in half to stretch.

And there's one of them forsale on every corner..........

If you're looking for a festiva

helbus - February 13th, 2011 at 08:45 PM

I always look for the best cars with the least rust to cut up. They are actually easier to find than panel beaters that fabricate new panels, metal finish and lead wipe. Metal metal metal.

Too many people want metal quality with a plastic price.

baghall - February 14th, 2011 at 08:13 PM

Hey Helbus, had a student in my year 10 metalwork class ask me about a guy he saw wiping lead over the back of a car. He wanted to know all about it and why he wasn't using bog. I tried to set him straight on the difference in quality.

Redbackemu - February 15th, 2011 at 05:04 PM

Thanks for your reply's may have the opportunity to purchase 58 beetle, already cut for baja, no rust at all. Has no motor. What would be a reasonable price?