Board Logo

country buggy into beetle
baghall - April 7th, 2011 at 09:21 PM

What issues would I have fitting a country buggy front end onto a ball joint '68 baja.
Will I have engineering problems going backwards in suspension?
Will it bolt on the same way or are the mounting brackets positioned differently?

11CAB - April 7th, 2011 at 09:33 PM

Country Buggy is Link Pin, your 68 is Balljoint. The torsion tubes are spaced differently, so the Country Buggy front end wont bolt onto your chassis. You need to get some 181 front stubs..... they do the same lift as Country Buggy, but are for balljoint front ends

baghall - April 7th, 2011 at 09:59 PM

Thanks but buggar it!

bajachris88 - April 7th, 2011 at 10:00 PM

You will have to reweld on a K&L frame head as the distance between the two front torsion tubes of the front beam are different between bj and k&l.

68AutoBug - April 8th, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baghall
What issues would I have fitting a country buggy front end onto a ball joint '68 baja.
Will I have engineering problems going backwards in suspension?
Will it bolt on the same way or are the mounting brackets positioned differently?

The country buggy was made from early King Pin beetle parts
plus other parts that are not compatible with Ball joint front ends.
Looks like You will be keeping Your 68 front end...

LEE

LEE

Smiley - April 8th, 2011 at 04:42 PM

I think it would probably be cheaper to get Thing Stub axles in then try and find a set of CB ones. At least there was a lot of the 181 ones made.

Smiley :cool:

baghall - April 9th, 2011 at 12:29 AM

yeh would like thing gear but have had trouble getting them. Cost from america ain't cheap. Oh well there are other things I need to do first anyway. Just got my new braided brake lines and have the money for some new brake kits!

Smiley - April 9th, 2011 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baghall
yeh would like thing gear but have had trouble getting them. Cost from america ain't cheap. Oh well there are other things I need to do first anyway. Just got my new braided brake lines and have the money for some new brake kits!

Where's the pictures etc in your build diary!!??

We want pictures!

Smiley :cool:

PHAT BUG - April 11th, 2011 at 03:15 PM

Why not try the lifted ball joint spindles that Wolfsburg Auto sell?? They are advertised in VWMA.

My Dad got a set last year, but has yet to fit them.

matberry - April 11th, 2011 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PHAT BUG
Why not try the lifted ball joint spindles that Wolfsburg Auto sell?? They are advertised in VWMA.

My Dad got a set last year, but has yet to fit them.

That's the easy way but questionable legality, and the 181 ones are heaps stronger because both ball joints are facing downwards which takes the loads better. Ball joint front ends are considered weaker than K/L at the best of times, so extra strength is often required. The arms are also stronger than type 1 as they are thicker inside the beam.

Kombi_Rescue - April 11th, 2011 at 08:57 PM

Full set of 181 stubs and arms for sale $800....pm if interested cheers steve