Board Logo

baja headlights
wild baja - May 29th, 2012 at 08:01 PM

Hi dubbers
I have a question for the baja historians in aus to suit my 68 baja project now getting close to completion. some baja guards I bought on fleebay had some non VW headlights with steel mounting buckets stamped F700 MKX that are rusted out . they fit in the standard beetle surround real well so would like to replace them with similar ones ( without the rust ).
Question is what make and model of australian car headlight was used on baja conversions back in the day ????
all I have found on google is a possibility of the Mk2 cortina headlight.

matberry - May 29th, 2012 at 08:08 PM

Don't know about those markings, maybe post a pic.

A lot of baja's used sealed beams with mounting assemblies from Mini/Morris/Land-Rover

1916baja - May 29th, 2012 at 08:35 PM

I just used beetle headlights with beetle surrounds on mine.... I thought they looked better.

nils - May 29th, 2012 at 09:15 PM

Yeah i recall morris too, can't say which one though

Joel - May 29th, 2012 at 09:39 PM

That was just what was used back in the day because they were in all the wreckers and still in good shape
Almost everything used 7" sealed beams back when.

Trying to find the buckets these days that are 1 in good shape not 40 year old rusted pieces of shit and 2 not worth classic car part prices is a mission but luckily there are better alternatives as plenty of places sell universal bucket mounts like Narva and Hella

http://www.headlights.net.au/images/headlights005009.png

shaihulud - May 29th, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I get mine from a Mini Minor dealer, for around $40 each with sealed beams.

wild baja - June 1st, 2012 at 05:34 PM

very good point joel 40yr old genuine will be hard to find. might get her regoed with what i have n get some newbie's later.

thanks guys

baja_01 - June 4th, 2012 at 09:00 AM

Try these..........http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-HEADLAMP-BOWL-LAND-ROVER-MG-MORGAN-MINI-FORD-WIPAC-/200291153960?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&am p;hash=item2ea2487828
Bought a set for my Baja, same as Mini H/lights...........
The set I bought didn't have the dress rings with them, just got a pair of secondhand Mini ones. They do sell new ones though.