Board Logo

In your opinion.
Me and Thvee - January 3rd, 2013 at 05:35 PM

Been looking at doing a beetle project for a while now and im looking to end up with a rod/drag beetle. Not for drag competing just for show more than anything so if it can do wheelies that would a bonus :-)
My budget after i sell my motorbike will be around the 10-15k mark with most of the work being done myself.
What i would like to know is based on everyones opinion's what would be the best base model to start with? I know i haven't given much info but assume the bug will remain the same but all the parts will be upgraded to be bigger and better. Should i start with an early 60's or late 60's model? I wont be doing an oval because i feel sorry for the purists :lol:

tar76 - January 3rd, 2013 at 06:29 PM

Earyl 60's and go for the gasser drag look !

Me and Thvee - January 3rd, 2013 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tar76
Earyl 60's and go for the gasser drag look !

Is there a reason to go an earlier beetle over a later one? I would assume that going a later beetle would provide a beter base because it would have some improvements over the older models.

whathaveidone - January 3rd, 2013 at 06:40 PM

BAHAHAHA youve opened up a can of worms there mate!!!!!!

Me and Thvee - January 3rd, 2013 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whathaveidone
BAHAHAHA youve opened up a can of worms there mate!!!!!!

Haha i have no doubt. I plan on keeping the car's shape fairly intact and i wont do any major modifications that might stop me from changing the car back to its original form, well thats the plan anyway and plans almost always get changed :lol:

matberry - January 3rd, 2013 at 09:52 PM

Definately a can of worms.
What first comes to mind is that primarily you mentioned rod, so surely that relates to the earlier look of the '67 and earlier body shape (Oz models) as the door and side glass didn't change from the first beetles of pre '50. The later car ('68 on) has some advantages but is a different look wiyh skinny door and window frames.

h - January 3rd, 2013 at 10:07 PM

no fat chicks

bajachris88 - January 3rd, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Personally i believe the early 60's models have nicer smooth lines in the curvature of the body, and also have smaller windows adding to that oldskool look, and even 'chop top' look compared to the later 60's models. Furthermore, swing axle rear will give that awesome dub signature style negative camber when dumped in the arse. be aware that 'some' of the later 60's models (some of the 1500 series after 67') have irs and won't permit the negative camber look.

imo

regardless though, all 60's models are beam front ends so thats a good start for the rod style i rekon.

Choice of wheels with the wide 5 stud pattern is nicer too compared to the later 60's 4 stud style too. with teh 4 stud style, your spoit for choice in teh old skool style rims.

LUFTMEISTER - January 4th, 2013 at 08:08 AM

Use a 54 as they are rubbish. Chop top and suicide doors would be the go. :smirk:

Joel - January 4th, 2013 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LUFTMEISTER
Use a 54 as they are rubbish. Chop top and suicide doors would be the go. :smirk:

Eh why not?

I know where theres a 52 zwitter split window bug thats bajad and now even WRX powered ;)

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/Buggin_74/574076.jpg

Me and Thvee - January 13th, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by matberry
Definately a can of worms.
What first comes to mind is that primarily you mentioned rod, so surely that relates to the earlier look of the '67 and earlier body shape (Oz models) as the door and side glass didn't change from the first beetles of pre '50. The later car ('68 on) has some advantages but is a different look wiyh skinny door and window frames.

So anything pre 67 has the the smaller windows as mentioned by bajachris88.

h - January 13th, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
Quote:
Originally posted by LUFTMEISTER

Eh why not?

I know where theres a 52 zwitter split window bug thats bajad and now even WRX powered ;)

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/Buggin_74/574076.jpg

that is the bizz right there :tu:

MY68VW - January 27th, 2013 at 09:13 AM

hahaha love how it's parked over the bump stop!
It's like, "hey l can do it so I will!"

Carl and Emily - January 27th, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Do you want it go around corners at any sort of speed?

That is another good question you should ask yourself.

Many people on here will be able to advise you on best pan set up for that.

Me and Thvee - February 1st, 2013 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl and Emily
Do you want it go around corners at any sort of speed?

That is another good question you should ask yourself.

Many people on here will be able to advise you on best pan set up for that.

I would like it to be able to go around corners aswell as or better than a standard beetle. 4 wheel disc brakes is something i consider a must so braking wont be an issue. I am ruling out a beam extension, as nice as it would look it would change how the car would drive and i am assuming it would drive worse, also it would cost alot to engineer from what i have heard. Still in the planning stages so not sure what im going to end up doing, i thought about a road/circuit beetle but i cant get over how nice some of the rods of ive seen are and ive got a few ideas that i would like to try out on a rod.